India’s Largest Study Abroad Funding Expo (SAFE) 2024
- Explore 26,000+ International Scholarships
- Instant Education Loan-pre approval with the lowest interest rate in India
Scholarship-funded abroad education
Student scholarship programs have always served as a boon to many students who wished to study abroad for their higher education but were hesitant to go ahead due to a lack of funds. The recent repo rate hike by the RBI is expected to further alter the current cost of studying abroad. You can read more about the Effect of the Repo Rate Hike on Education loan Interest rates and know about how you can save your money during your education abroad, while everyone will be taking a hit.
With the ever-rising cost of education abroad in top countries like the UK, USA, Canada, and Germany, students along with trying to get admission to top universities abroad have now also started to aim to get a good scholarship so that they can manage their expenses well while fulfilling their dream of studying abroad. If you too are looking for the best scholarship opportunities to fund your abroad education- visit abroad study aspirants’ most trusted platform WeMakeScholars and directly apply for a scholarship in just a few clicks from there as per your suitability.
Well in this blog I will be telling you about 15 scholarships for Indian Students planning to study in the UK, along with their eligibility criteria and other important details. To begin let’s first learn more about the:
Study in the UK
It is undeniable that the UK is home to some of the most prestigious and famous educational institutions in the world. Students from all around the globe target Universities like the University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, University College London, Imperial College of London, and many more, to take admission and get the best quality education to help them in their careers. It is also the infrastructure and state-of-the-art research facilities provided by the educational institution which draw the attention of the students to make the UK one of the most popular educational hubs.
But, everything comes with a cost. The United Kingdom holds the abroad study aspirant’s first choice award but is also one of the costliest countries to stay and study for international students.
To add a fact, the average cost of living for an international student in London for one year is 16,354 GBP which is nearly 15 Lac rupees.
Therefore, I have done great research and brought to you the list of top 15 scholarship options, which you can avail yourself to manage funds for your higher education in the UK, being an Indian student
1. British Chevening Scholarships for International Scholarships
Scholarship Awards: Worth over £18,000 (INR 16,50,951), the scholarship amount takes care of visa costs, tuition fees, and living & travel expenses.
Application Deadline: August to November, every year.
British Chevening Scholarships is ranked among the top International Scholarships to study in the UK. It is an international awards scheme that gives complete financial support for the one-year PG programs in the country currently running at 150 universities and covering more than 12,000 courses. This scholarship involves an 8-12 week program that runs its courses in stated areas of journalism, innovation, cybersecurity, and science, among others.
- A bachelor’s degree with two years of experience is mandatory.
- Applicant must have an offer from any of the 3 courses that he had applied for in the UK
- Chevening English Requirements must be accomplished along with the UK university’s English proficiency criteria.
- English Proficiency Test Scores are also important.
2. Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters Degree Scholarship
Scholarship Awards: Include tuition fees, laboratory costs, library, a monthly subsistence allowance, insurance coverage, and other miscellaneous costs.
Application Deadline: March, every year.
Launched to increase cooperation between the European Union and the rest of the world, Erasmus Mundus is an international study program that provides scholarships to international students who take admission in a joint master’s degree in any college affiliated with the Erasmus Mundus program. It consists of 24 grants for Indian students studying in the UK and covers all the financial assistance including travel allowance, monthly allowance, and installation costs also, which makes it one of the great scholarships in the UK.
- Either a first higher education degree must be obtained, or the applicant must show extensive knowledge in their selected field.
3. A.S Hornby Educational Trust Scholarship
Scholarship Awards: A monthly stipend is provided to bear the costs of living, tuition, visa, and language tests.
Application Deadline: October, every year.
To honor A.S Hornby, the begetter of the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary, the Hornby Scholarship Program was created in 1961. This is one of the most popular scholarship schemes for Indian students to support their studies in the UK. English teachers willing to pursue a one-year master’s degree in English Language Teaching (ELT) at the University of Warwick are also entitled to avail of the benefits of the scholarship.
- A full-time university degree in Education or English.
- Three years of experience as a full-time teacher.
- The applicants need to fulfill the English proficiency test specified by the university.
4. Felix Scholarships
Scholarship Awards: Tuition Fees and Extra Funds worth GBP 78,840 (INR 74,34,191)
Application Deadline: December/January, depending on your course
Felix scholarships are specifically designed and offered to international students from India. It is aimed to provide financial support to bright students who lack enough funding to support their education in the UK. Flexi scholarships offer around 20 scholarships per year and have a list of more than 500 beneficiary students.
- The candidate must be below the age of 30 years.
- The candidate must be an Indian citizen and currently staying & studying in India.
- Candidates must apply for a full-time PG program with any of the affiliated universities.
- Candidates must return to work in their home country, after the completion of their post-graduation.
5. Rhodes Scholarship
Scholarship Awards: 59,490 Pounds (INR 56,09,589) offered as a stipend to students on annual basis to pay for living costs, college fees, and economy class air tickets.
Application Deadline: October, every year.
Primarily 5 scholarships are offered to Indian students to study at the University of Oxford under the Rhodes Scholarship Program. It was first awarded in 1902 and is amongst the oldest scholarships for Indian students in the UK. The grant is offered to students willing to pursue postgraduate degree-level courses for one or two-year duration at the university.
- Mandatory to pursue formal education for 4-10 years at an Indian institution.
- Applicants in the age group 19-25 years only are eligible
- An undergraduate degree in first-class or with an equivalent level must be obtained
6. Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
Scholarship Awards: Scholarship Awards include tuition fees, airline fares, and other miscellaneous allowances.
Application Deadline: December, every year.
Commonwealth scholarship and fellowship plan is an initiative by the governments of 53 commonwealth countries under which they help students from the commonwealth countries in managing funds for their education abroad in the UK. This scholarship scheme was first established in 1959 and till now, over 30,000 students have benefited from this meritorious scholarship in the UK.
- Applicants must be a resident of India and should be of age below 40 years.
- The final selection will be based on a personal interview, which will be held in New Delhi
7. Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarships (CWIT)
Scholarship Awards: It includes grants, visiting fellowships, and research permission in specific disciplines for doctoral study
Application Deadline: 24th February 2023
Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarships (CWIT) is offered by the British Council. It is one of the major scholarships for Indian students to study in the Uk which consists of 10 long-term awards in the field of heritage conservation and visual arts for one-year long courses.
- Applicants in the age group of 25-38. Years are only eligible
- Applicants should have a graduate degree or diploma/certification in their chosen field.
8. Dr Manmohan Singh Scholarships
Scholarship Awards: It covers the entire expenditure including academic fees, UK visa expenses, travel allowance, and a monthly stipend.
Application Deadline: 15 January of every year
The Dr Manmohan Singh Scholarship program is a fully funded scholarship scheme initiated by St. John’s College, the University of Cambridge. It is awarded to academically brilliant students seeking admission in doctoral degrees in the fields of social sciences, science and technology, and economics. A major preference is given to those applying for Energy Studies and Aerospace Engineering.
- Applicants less than 35 years of age eligible
- Applicants must have a postgraduate degree from an affiliated Indian institution
- Applicants must have acquired first-class awards in their graduation as well as postgraduate degrees in the field they are applying for
- Leadership qualities should be displayed through their statements and work experience
9. Inlaks Scholarships
Scholarship Awards: Scholarship awards up to 84,733 GBP (INR 79,97,612) which covers tuition fees, living costs, airline fares, and travel expenses.
Application Deadline: March 31, every year.
Inlaks Scholarships is an initiative by the Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation first launched in 1976, under which it offers scholarships, grants, and awards to deserving students in different fields of academics. The major objective of the Foundation is to identify exceptionally talented young Indian students and support them financially to develop their special skills and talents to the maximum.
- Applicants less than 30 years of age eligible
- Applicants should hold a first-class degree from a recognized institution in India.
- Applicants should be a resident of India for the last 6 months and at the time of applying for this scholarship.
10. Scotland Saltire Scholarships
Scholarship Awards: Grants of up to 8,000 GBP (which is INR 7,54,719) are offered which cover tuition fees for 1 year for the Master’s Degree at any institute in Scotland.
Application Deadline: 31st July, every year.
Scotland Saltire Scholarships are offered by the Scottish Government in collaboration with Scottish Universities, to provide funds to students from India and other selected countries. The scholarship is a big attraction to students who wish to study for a master's degree and aspire to become influential leaders. Up to 50 scholarships are awarded every year.
- Applicants must be citizens of India, Japan, the USA, China, Canada, or Pakistan.
- Applicants should also be able to manage their cost of living in Scotland
- Applicants must meet the language requirements of the course that they’ve opted to pursue.
11. Gates Cambridge Scholarship
Scholarship Awards: Awarded to 55 international students covering their tuition fees and other allowances
Application Deadline: Either 1 December 2022 or 5 January 2023, depending on your course
Gates Cambridge Scholarships are offered by the prestigious institution affiliated with the University of Cambridge in the UK. The scholarship not only includes the cost of tuition fee but also the cost of single airfare, accommodation, visa, and much more.
- The applicant should not be a resident of the UK
- Enrolled full-time in PhD or MSc/MLitt course in UK universities
- Non-degree courses are not eligible for this scholarship
12. Coventry Academic Performance Scholarship
Scholarships Awards: £1,500 which is nearly INR 1,37,579 offered to cover tuition fees
Scholarship Deadline: 30 September 2022
Coventry Academic Performance Scholarship is a merit-based scholarship awarded to a few students that have performed marvellously in previous academic years. It is aimed to provide financial support to Indian students at , which is one of the esteemed universities in the UK offering courses in different areas and invites applicants from all over the world.
- Applicant must be enrolled full-time in an undergraduate or postgraduate course
- For undergraduate programs, applicants should have an A – grade or equivalent.
- Applicants enrolled in postgraduate programs should have at least 2:1 or equivalent qualifications
13. University of West London International Ambassador Scholarships
Scholarship Awards: 100 scholarships worth up to £5,000 (INR 4,58,597)
Scholarship Deadline: 30 March/1 July
University of West London International Ambassador Scholarships is offered for both undergraduate and postgraduate courses at the University of West London. It is exclusively for the campus ambassadors of the University of West London and covers their cost of tuition fees. Being an ambassador for the university, you will be expected to indulge in various promotional activities and campaigns at the university.
- Applicant must have an unconditional offer letter from the university in any undergraduate and postgraduate courses
- Should have prior 4-tier Visa
14. UAL Vice-Chancellor’s Postgraduate International Scholarships
Scholarship Awards: Grant worth £5,000 and £25,000 (INR 4,58,597 – 22,92,988) is awarded to 25 students
Scholarship Deadline: 30 June, every year.
UAL Vice-Chancellor’s Postgraduate International Scholarships are awarded by the University of Arts London to its international students from all over the world. Two types of scholarships are offered under this scheme. The first one is awarded for £5,000(INR 4,71,749) covering the cost of tuition fees and the second one is worth £25,000 (INR 23,58,746) covering accommodation, tuition fees, and other expenses.
- Enrolled in any master’s course offered by the university
- Willing to return to his/her home country after completion of the course
15. Edinburgh Doctoral College Scholarship
Scholarship Awards: Covers the tuition fee and additional stipend
Application Deadline: Opening soon
Edinburgh Doctoral College Scholarship is provided by the University of Edinburgh in the UK. It is exclusively offered to international students. The scholarship grant covers tuition fees and provides a stipend, but is only provided to doctoral students.
- Only on-campus research courses are eligible.
- Both part-time and full-time applicants are eligible for this scholarship
The above-given list of scholarships is pretty comprehensive and has complete information about scholarship opportunities for Indian students going to the UK for abroad education. We are sure that this article will help you to narrow down your choices and bestow you with the best scholarship scheme as per your suitability. But, to also bring it to your knowledge, the ratio of the number of students getting a scholarship to the total number of students applying for a scholarship is very small. So you should never entirely depend on the scholarship scheme to fund your education abroad and always keep a backup funding source ready so that you don’t have to compromise with your study abroad dream.
If you are an ambitious student who wants to pursue quality education from abroad and skyrocket your career but is concerned about your financial status or are unsure about your study loan, visit the website of WeMakeScholars and request a callback from our financial officers, we will analyze your profile and accordingly suggest you the best lenders which offer the lowest rate of interest deal in the market, to fund your abroad education loan. Our services are free of cost as we are funded and supported by the Ministry of IT, Government of India.
While searching for a scholarship you must have come across multiple study abroad scholarships that cover entire expenses and are fully funded. But have you heard about the popular Education Future International Scholarship worth INR 2 -10 lacs, which is exclusively for those students who fell just short of the budget, while planning to go abroad using self-funds? WeMakeScholars offers an overseas scholarship worth INR 2-10 lacs exclusively for Indian students. This scholarship opportunity is aimed to help hundreds of Indian students with waivers on their tuition fees, living expenses, and other miscellaneous expenses so that you do not worry about managing your finances and focus entirely on your education abroad.
Still not sure which scholarship would be the greatest fit for you or if you’re qualified for which scholarship? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Also, you can get in touch with the team of WeMakeScholars to get assistance in processing your education loan.
Thanks for reading this blog on 15 scholarships for Indian Students planning to study in the UK. If you are interested in learning more about studying abroad and student life abroad, then I highly recommend you to read: