Abroad Education Loan For Pathway Programs
Getting an abroad education loan for pathway programs is something close to a myth to most candidates who are looking for one. This article will tell you all about the possible ways of getting an abroad education loan for pathway programs.
Or better yet, find out all about how you can get an abroad education loan for pathway programs in the 33rd episode of Loanflix.
Before delving into the process of getting an abroad education loan for pathway programs, let us first understand what a pathway program is.
What are Pathway Programs/Foundation Courses?
Pathway programs or foundation courses are basically courses of short durations (3-6 months) that offer basic training to students in order to enable them to get a headstart on their higher studies abroad.
In certain cases, a pathway program is a mandate for students to secure admission for the desired course in a university abroad. Not all students are required to attend these short-duration courses. If you can relate to any of the following scenarios, then you may have to attend a pathway program supported by your respective university. Hence, any pathway course/foundation course only offers a conditional promise of admission into any particular university abroad.
Generally, students are recommended to attend pathway programs in any of the following scenarios.
- Change of stream: When candidates who have an academic background that is different from their chosen course abroad, their respective university suggests them to attend a pathway program that can help them grasp the subjects which will be covered by the mainstream course. For example, if you have a degree in engineering, but wish to pursue your Master’s course in journalism or any field which is not related to engineering then, instead of rejecting your application, the university chosen by you will recommend you to attend a pathway program which offers an overview of the courses that you might likely have to take abroad. Only those candidates who complete their foundation courses with the required grades are accepted into the university.
- Incomplete academic duration: The universities in many countries, e.g., the USA, require international students to have completed at least 16 years of schooling (for postgraduate courses) and 12 years of schooling (undergraduate courses). If a candidate applies for a postgraduate course having completed only 15 out of the 16 years, then they are recommended to attend a pathway course that can help fill the gap in their education.
- Language programs: All students who wish to study abroad are required to undergo vocational training to learn a foreign language. Since most foreign universities offer their courses in English language, international students are often required to take an IELTS or TOEFL exam to prove their proficiency in the English language. Sometimes, students whose exam scores are not up to the mark are required to re-attend these courses with an approved institution abroad or in their own country.
Candidates often have to undergo language courses in order to study in certain countries in Europe, which have a lot of good universities that teach certain prestigious courses in the native language. Let us take the example of Germany, where many top universities offer mainstream courses in the German language. Besides this, it is mandatory for candidates to be familiar with the language in order to gain employment in Germany. Hence, students who wish to study in Germany are required to undergo a short pathway course to study the language. Most universities in Germany recommend institutes located there to students who need to complete a pathway course in the German language to pursue their further studies.
Now that you are familiar with the concept of pathway programs, here comes the central part of this article, how to find an abroad education loan for pathway programs?
Finding Abroad Education Loan for Pathway Programs
If the institute offering the pathway program is located abroad, then it is obvious that candidates would find it difficult to fund them on their own. Many such students have approached the WeMakeScholars team asking for our assistance to borrow an abroad education loan for such pathway programs. Now here is why getting most lenders do not agree to provide an abroad education loan for pathway programs.
As explained in the previous paragraph, a pathway course does not necessarily offer a degree. Candidates who attend these courses are required to pass them with grades that qualify them for their postgraduate or undergraduate degree courses. Hence, their admission for any mainstream course is purely based on whether they pass the respective short course with acceptable grades.
Now, an education loan is a risk for both, the lender as well as the borrower. But the lender’s stakes are higher as they provide these loans on the guarantee that the particular candidate will complete a mainstream course abroad and begin the repayment process as soon as they are employed.
Since pathway programs neither promise a degree nor a job, many lenders do not agree to lend education loans for short courses abroad.
Despite this situation, our financial team has still made it possible for at least 65% per cent of the cases to get an abroad education loan for pathway programs. The remaining 35% cases were the ones in which the students had very poor academic records and whose profiles reflected their inability to pass the respective pathway/foundation course successfully.
With every failed attempt at getting an education loan for short courses abroad, our team kept pressing on the importance of recognizing potential courses and granting education loans accordingly, with our partner banks. Now, most of the prominent banks have been considering such cases for quite a while. So, when you apply for an abroad education loan for pathway courses through our team, you at least stand the chance to apply for one. When you directly approach public banks or private lenders for such loans, most loan officials may feign ignorance about the same and you end up missing out on the year.
If you are planning to fund your pathway course with the help of an education loan, get in touch with the WeMakeScholars team today to get a complete analysis of your profile and get to know the possible lenders who can cater to your financial requirements abroad.
What are the education loan options?
The Loanflix web-series is one of its kind series wherein the viewers get complete information about the education loan process. The first three episodes in the Loanflix series tell you about the basic education loan process, the two types of education loans, secured loans and unsecured education loans. For those who have not yet subscribed to our channel, here’s a brief explanation of the same.
In India, education loans are bifurcated on the basis of the requirement of collateral against them. They are:
- Secured education loans: This type of education loan is mainly lent by major government banks. Secured education loans require candidates to pledge collateral. This collateral can be any of the following three:
- Immovable property: House, flat, non-agricultural land, a non-commercial plot with boundaries, etc.
- Liquid Security: Liquid security such as FD, govt. Bonds, life insurance policy from a government-approved lender., etc.
- Third-party collateral: If candidates do not possess any assets of their own to pledge as collateral, then they can pledge a third-party’s (other than family members.) asset as one.
- Unsecured education loan: This type of education loans are mainly provided by private financial institutions called Non-Banking Finance Companies (NBFCs). These loans are also called as education loan without collateral. There is no requirement of collateral for such loans. They are provided on the basis of your co-applicant’s financial records and the merit and chances of acceptance of a student’s profile.
The 11th episode of Loanflix will help you understand some of the major factors that you need to know about while looking for an abroad education loan for pathway programs. In the 11th episode, viewers get to know the complete information on the various salient features of the two different types of education loans and
If you are on the lookout for an unsecured abroad education loan for pathway courses, do get in touch with the WeMakeScholars team. Our financial officers will provide you with the complete report of your profile’s analysis and suggest the lender that best suits your needs.
Chances of success in getting an abroad education loan for pathway courses
Lenders always go through the profiles of students who have requested for an abroad education loan for pathway courses and make a decision according to the rate of success of a particular course or university/college. For example, the success ratio of applicants who have applied to pathway programs in the USA is almost 100% because the I20 form also mentions the cost of pathway programs. Hence, students applying for an abroad education loan for pathway programs in the USA do not find it difficult to get one.
The same cannot be said for pathway courses in Europe. This is because the offer letter of most universities in Europe states that the acceptance for the next course is conditional. It totally depends on whether the student meets the score criteria for pathway courses set by their respective college/university. In this case, not many lenders can provide education loans to such students as there is no other guarantee whatsoever, of the student being accepted into a particular university.
If you are stuck in such a situation and are tired of approaching lenders for the same, do request a callback with our team. If your profile meets all the criteria of the particular lender, our team will ensure that you get your education loan application approved.
How To Apply For An Abroad Education Loan For Pathway Programs
Most of the episodes of the Loanflix web-series tell you all about the abroad education loan process. If you are looking for an explanation regarding the education loan process for different countries, the WeMakeScholars team has developed a series of Loanflix episodes which give you the complete details of the education loan process specific to certain countries.
All in all, it may be concluded that getting an abroad education loan for pathway programs may seem like a long and never ending process. However, collecting sufficient knowledge about the entire process, significantly helps in making the whole procedure, an easy one. At WeMakeScholars, we have a team of financial officers who are dedicated to ensuring that our students get to avail their abroad education loans without any hassles. In order to apply for an abroad education loan for pathway program, request a callback today.
Note: WeMakeScholars is an organization funded and supported by the Government of India that focuses on International Education finance. We are associated with 10+ public/Pvt banks/ NBFCs in India and help you get the best abroad education loan matching your profile. As this initiative is under the Digital India campaign, it’s at free of cost. The organization has vast experience dealing with students going to various abroad education destinations like the US, Canada, UK, Australia, Germany, Sweden, Italy, China, France among others