Canada is one of the most preferred destinations for higher education by applicants from India. It is one of the very few countries whose immigration laws have been designed to make the process of moving to the country easy for those seeking residence or places of studies from other countries across the world. Although a lot of students from India prefer to study in Canada, very few of them are well-aware of the provisions of a Canada student permit. This article aims to provide you with complete information about the Canada student permit process. To give you an overview, applying for a student permit Canada is a pretty straightforward process only if candidates are well aware of the terms and conditions which they need to fulfil. Before diving straight into the details, here is an overview of the student permit process to study in Canada.
Student Permit Process To Study in Canada
Important Point to note Before Travelling to Canada During the COVID 19 Pandemic
First things first, the present COVID 19 pandemic has brought about a lot of unrest and uncertainty among the student community, especially those who plan on continuing their higher studies abroad. Students who have already secured a place in any of the designated learning institutions in Canada and have received their study permit on or before March 18, 2020, are exempt from the travel restrictions imposed by the Canadian immigration authorities.
Those who are still in the process of applying for a study permit to study in Canada are required to go through the travel restrictions mentioned by the Canadian government.
What is a Canada Study Permit Application?
A study permit allows students who have been accepted to study in any of the Designated Learning Institutions to study and if applicable, work in Canada. The study permit is not a visa. Once approved, students will either be issued a visa or an electronic travel authorization, depending on the nature of their application and their country of residence.
What is study permit extension Canada and for how long a student can extend their student visa extension Canada?
A study permit allows students to reside in Canada for the entire duration of their study in Canada, plus 90 days post that period is given as student visa extension Canada. Students whose permit is likely to expire during the course of their study in Canada or is nearing the expiration date may utilise these 90 days to extend the validity of their study permit extension Canada or apply for a work permit if applicable.
What is the total cost of the Study permit application process?
For students who apply from India, the total amount charged by the embassy for a study permit to study in Canada comes to CAD 150.
What is the Canada student visa processing time online?
The Canada student visa processing time online takes close to 16 weeks for candidates who apply from India.
Canada Student Visa Requirements
The Canadian Immigration department has set certain requirements which all candidates must fulfil in order to have a fruitful tenure when they travel to study in Canada. It is essential that students fulfil the following Canada student visa requirements in order to avoid facing any legal hassles during their course of study in Canada.
You can study in Canada if you:
- are enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)
- prove you have enough money to pay for your:
- tuition fees,
- living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and
- return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
- obey the law, have no criminal record and get a police certificate (if required)
- are in good health and get a medical exam (if required)
- prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your study permit expires.
While in Canada for higher studies, students must
- make progress towards completing their program
- respect any conditions listed on their study permit
- stop studying if they no longer meet the requirements and
- leave Canada when their permit expires
Depending on your case, there may be conditions on your study permit such as:
- if you’re allowed to work in Canada
- if you’re allowed to travel within Canada
- the date you must stop studying
Now that you have taken note of the Canada student visa requirements, let us move on to understanding one of the most crucial parts of the Canada study permit process - documentation. The following paragraphs will give you a Canada student visa checklist of the documents you need to submit before you apply for a Canada student permit. In addition to that, details about each of these documents are also included.
Canada Student Permit Process: Canada student Visa Checklist of Required Documents
Documentation is a crucial part of any student visa process. The process of getting a permit to study in Canada requires candidates to submit the correct documentation. If candidates fail to do so, their application for a permit to study in Canada can be rejected. The documents mentioned in the following list are to be submitted by students at the time of applying for a study permit to study in Canada.
- Proof of acceptance
- Proof of identity
- Proof of financial support
- A letter of acceptance into Canada
- A Letter of explanation
- Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (for those who wish to study in Quebec)
Let us try and understand the relevance of certain documents which are to be compulsorily submitted by candidates to the government in order to qualify for a Canada study permit.
A Letter of Acceptance to Study in Canada
All the candidates who have applied for a permit to study in Canada must possess a letter of acceptance from any of the designated learning institutions. While applying for their Canada study permit application, students are expected to upload the original acceptance letter, along with their application.
Proof of Identity
Candidates must provide the following documents which will help prove their identity to the department of immigration in Canada.
- A valid passport
- Two recent passport-sized photographs. The candidate must write their name and date of birth on the back of each photo.
Proof of Financial Support
Before applying for a study permit to study in Canada, students must submit proof of their finances. It is important for the immigration department of the Canadian government to understand that the students who come to Canada are capable of taking care of their expenses which are likely to be incurred during their course of study in Canada. The following documents are some of the acceptable forms of proof of funds at the Canadian embassy. It is very crucial that students submit these forms that reflect the fulfilment of Canada student visa requirements.
- Proof of a Canadian bank account in the student’s name.
- GIC from a participating financial institution.
- Proof of an education loan from a bank
- Bank statement for the past four months
- A bank draft that can be converted into Canadian dollars.
- Proof of payment of tuition and housing fees
- A letter from the person/school providing the money
- Proof of funding paid from within Canada if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program.
Students who come from countries like India, Pakistan, China, Sri Lanka, Morocco, Philippines, Senegal, Vietnam can fast track their process by applying to a university which comes under the SDS program. Such students may present a GIC from any of the participating financial institutions as proof of fulfilment of Canada student visa financial requirements.
- The purchase of GIC account and depositing the tuition fees have to be done before a student applies for a Canadian student visa.
- When loan applicants approach banks with this requirement, many bank officials, due to their ignorance about the changing policies of international embassies and educational institutes, happen to deny issuing the loan amount for the same. Hence, make it a point to ask your assigned loan manager whether they will be transferring the said amount through wire transfers.
Students who had applied for Canada education loan through WeMakeScholars did not face this problem as our financial officers have been at the core of many important decisions taken by our partner banks regarding education loans. Any issue comes in, our team can speak with the bank manager and sort it for you. The Canada student visa financial requirements state that candidates need to arrange for at least CAD 10,000 as their living expenses for a year of their course of study in Canada.
Letter of Explanation
A letter of explanation is another crucial part of the Canada student visa requirements. It helps the visa authorities to understand the candidate’s goals after they receive their study permit for Canada. It explains two major points which are integral to the process of getting a permit to study in Canada.
- Why a candidate wants to study in Canada
- Applicants applying for a Canada study permit have complete knowledge of their responsibilities once they arrive in the country for their higher studies.
Foreign nationals who wish to study in Canada must ensure that they have comprehensive health insurance which takes care of their medical expenses during their entire course of study in Canada. This is an important document which all students must possess before applying a study permit for Canada.
Also, read about the Importance of Loan Insurance in Abroad Education Loan
How to Apply For a Student Permit Canada?
The Canada student visa requirements are pretty much simple and easy to understand. However, a lot of candidates tend to miss out on important information regarding the Canada student visa process as they seldom care to pay attention to details. The following steps are involved in the Canada study permit process. Some students can apply for a study permit from within Canada. In other cases, they are allowed to apply at the time of entering the country. However, in a majority of the cases, the embassy prefers students who apply for a study permit online. The process involves the following steps.
- Gather your documents. Ensure that you have all of the documents mentioned above before you begin the process of applying for a permit to study in Canada. If officials find any of it to be missing, your file could be sent back.
- Read the instruction guide before proceeding to fill your form seeking a permit to study in Canada.
- Prepare your answers for the online tool. Students are expected to provide answers to certain questions before proceeding to fill their form.
- Gather information about the fees you have to pay for the following.
- Submitting biometric information to the embassy or consulate
- Taking a medical exam
- Police certificates
- Language testing
- Services at a visa application centre
Create your online account and sign in. You can use your account to:
- pay your fees
- submit your application
- check your status
What Happens After You Apply?
As soon as they submit their application,
- students are required to submit their biometrics. Post submitting their online application, the embassy or consulate will send an email stating the directions which students need to follow in order to successfully submit their biometric information.
- The study permit application is processed.
- The embassy may also ask students to
- Go to an interview with their officials
- Send more information
After Approval, the embassy will send a letter of introduction to the selected students. This is not a study permit. The study permit will be issued to students at a later date, along with the student visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization.
Documents to be Submitted After Arriving in Canada
Students are required to keep the following documents handy in order to have a smooth transition to Canada.
- Valid passport/travel document
- A letter of introduction
- Copy of a valid letter of acceptance from your institution
- Proof of financial support
- Letters of reference
- Valid electronic travel authorization if applicable.
Major Reasons Behind Rejection of a Study Permit Application by the Embassy?
Some of the major reasons provided by the embassy for rejection of an application for a permit to study in Canada are as mentioned below.
Applications are rejected if students fail to
- show proof that they have enough money to support yourself while studying in Canada
- pass their medical exam, if they needed to get one
- convince the visa officer that their main purpose in Canada is to study or
- convince the visa officer that they would leave Canada at the end of their study period.
Note: WeMakeScholars is an organization funded and supported by the Government of India that focuses on International Education finance. We are associated with 10+ public/Pvt banks/ NBFCs in India and help you get the best abroad education loan matching your profile. As this initiative is under the Digital India campaign, it’s at free of cost. The organization has vast experience dealing with students going to various abroad education destinations like the US, Canada, UK, Australia, Germany, Sweden, Italy, China, France among others