India’s Largest Study Abroad Funding Expo (SAFE) 2024
- Explore 26,000+ International Scholarships
- Instant Education Loan-pre approval with the lowest interest rate in India
The student visa process to study in any country around the world is a crucial part of the higher education process. It is important to gather sufficient information about various aspects of a typical student visa process. Collecting important documentation is one of the primary steps in having a hassle-free visa application process. The list of documents for student visa required by various countries around the world varies depending on a lot of factors. This article aims to provide you with the list of documents for student visa of countries like the US, UK, Australia, Canada, Germany, etc.
Documents For Student Visa: USA F1 Visa Process
USA is considered to be one of the countries which offers many opportunities to study and work there, especially to immigrant students. Although its foreign policies regarding the incoming immigrants have taken a turn for the worse in these past years, the country is still considered to be a dream destination for higher studies by students in India. It is common knowledge that pursuing your higher education in the USA would remain an incomplete dream unless you are not in possession of the USA F1 Visa.
The most important step in the F1 visa process is to put together the documents for student visa.The following list of documents for student visa have to be submitted by F1 visa applicants.
Passport valid for travel to the United States – Your passport must b
e valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States (unless exempt by country-specific agreements). Each individual who needs a visa must submit a separate application, including any family members listed in your passport.
- Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page.
- Application fee payment receipt, if you are required to pay before your interview.
Photo – You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160. If the photo upload fails, you must bring one printed photo in the format explained in the Photograph Requirements.
Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status-For Academic and Language Students, Form I-20 or Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status for Vocational Students, Form I-20 – Your school will send you a Form I-20 once they have entered your information in the SEVIS database. You and your school official must sign the Form I-20. All students must be registered in the Student and Exchange Visitor System (SEVIS). Your spouse and/or minor children, if they intend to live in the United States with you, will each receive an individual Form I-20.
Additional List of documents for a student visa to study in the USA
A consular officer will interview you to determine your qualifications for a student visa and may request additional documents, such as evidence of:
Your academic preparation, such as:
Transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or certificates from schools you attended; and
Standardized test scores required by your U.S. school;
Your intent to depart the United States upon completion of the course of study; and
How you will pay all educational, living and travel costs
Documents For Student Visa: Canada Student Visa
The process of getting a permit to study in Canada requires candidates to submit the correct documents for student visa. If candidates fail to do so, their application for a permit to study in Canada can be rejected. The following documents for student visa have to be submitted by students at the time of applying for a study permit to study in Canada.
- Proof of acceptance
- Proof of identity
- Proof of financial support
- A letter of acceptance into Canada
- A Letter of explanation
- Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (for those who wish to study in Quebec)
Let us try and understand the requirements expected by the government with respect to these documents.
Letter of Acceptance to Study in Canada
All the candidates who have applied for a permit to study in Canada must possess a letter of acceptance from any of the designated learning institutions. While applying for their Canada study permit, students are expected to upload the original acceptance letter, along with their application.
Proof of Identity
Candidates must provide the following documents which will help prove their identity to the department of immigration in Canada.
- A valid passport
- Two recent passport-sized photographs. The candidate must write their name and date of birth on the back of each photo.
Proof of Financial Support
Before applying for a study permit to study in Canada, students must submit proof of their finances. It is important for the immigration department of the Canadian government to understand that the students who come to Canada are capable of taking care of their expenses which are likely to be incurred during their course of study in Canada. The following documents are some of the acceptable forms of proof of funds at the Canadian embassy. It is very crucial that students submit these forms that reflect the fulfilment of Canada student visa requirements.
- Proof of a Canadian bank account in the student’s name.
- GIC from a participating financial institution.
- Proof of an education loan from a bank
- Bank statement for the past four months
- A bank draft that can be converted into Canadian dollars.
- Proof of payment of tuition and housing fees
- A letter from the person/school providing the money
- Proof of funding paid from within Canada if you have a scholarship or are in a canadian-funded educational program.
Students who come from countries like India, Pakistan, China, Sri Lanka, Morocco, Philippines, Senegal, Vietnam can fast track their process by applying to a university which comes under the SDS program. Such students may present a GIC from any of the participating financial institutions as proof of fulfilment of Canada student visa financial requirements.
The Canada student visa financial requirements state that candidates need to arrange for at least CAD 10,000 as their living expenses for a year of their course of study in Canada.
A Letter of Explanation
A letter of explanation is another crucial part of the Canada student visa requirements. It helps the visa authorities to understand the candidate’s goals after they receive their study permit for Canada. It explains two major points which are integral to the process of getting a permit to study in Canada.
- Why a candidate wants to study in Canada
- Applicants applying for a Canada study permit have complete knowledge of their responsibilities once they arrive in the country for their higher studies.
Foreign nationals who wish to study in Canada must ensure that they have comprehensive health insurance which takes care of their medical expenses during their entire course of study in Canada. This is one of the important documents for student visa of Canada which all students must possess before applying for a study permit.
Documents For Student Visa: UK Tier 4 Visa
A UK Tier 4 visa is granted to students who wish to pursue full-time courses in universities located in the UK. The UK Tier 4 visa is a term which is used to refer to a general student visa. Students who wish to study in the UK have to apply for their student visas at least three months before their course start date. Before applying, students must be well aware of the documents for student visa of the UK.
The following is a list of documents required by the embassy if you are applying for a UK student visa from India.
- Current passport or other valid travel documentation
- The required proof of funds showing the presence of money which is required by students to meet their expenses during their study in UK.
- Tuberculosis test results
The above list of documents forms the basic framework for the set of valid documentation required by the embassy or consulate from students who are applying for a UK tier 4 visa to study in the UK. Additional documents may be required from applicants depending on their circumstances.
Documents for Student Visa to Study in Australia
Australia is one of the most sought after destinations by Indian students for higher education. Obtaining a student visa is one of the most important steps in getting to study in Australia. In order to have a hassle free Australia student visa process, it is essential to have a thorough understanding of the various student visa requirements.
The documents for student visa required by the consulate for an Australian student visa depends on the institution into which candidates have been accepted. However, here is a generic list of some of the basic documents for student visa asked by the consulate from students who wish to study in Australia.
- Documents proving your identity. Possibly a copy of your passport and also include copies of your birth certificate, drivers licence or any other documents containing your correct address proof.
- Documents providing evidence of a student’s health insurance cover if they are from outside Australia and wish to study there with the help of an Australian student visa.
- Documents which indicate an evidence of financial capacity. Students must either have
- sufficient funds to cover their travel costs and 12 months of living and tuition fees for them and their accompanying family members and school costs for any school aged dependants, or
- evidence that their spouse or parents are willing to support them and they have an annual income of at least AUD 60,000 for single students or at least AUD 70,000 for students that are accompanied by family members
- an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Students form for secondary exchange students only
- a letter of support from Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or Department of Defence.
- Documents indicating an evidence of English language eligibility
- Genuine temporary entrant requirement. This must include a statement in your application form that you intend to stay in Australia temporarily and/or documentation to support claims. The statement must be written by the applicant even if using an agent.
- Documentation showing evidence of a change of name if applicable.
Note: WeMakeScholars is an organization funded and supported by the Government of India that focuses on International Education finance. We are associated with 10+ public/Pvt banks/ NBFCs in India and help you get the best abroad education loan matching your profile. As this initiative is under the Digital India campaign, it’s at free of cost. The organization has vast experience dealing with students going to various abroad education destinations like the US, Canada, UK, Australia, Germany, Sweden, Italy, France among others.