The Federal Ministry of Education is a part of the Federal Ministries of Nigeria that directs education in Nigeria.It was established in 1988. President Muhammadu Buhari appointed Adamu Adamu a well-known journalist, and loyalist to the president as the minister for education in November 2015.
Its functions include:
- Formulating a national policy on education.
- Collecting and collating data for purposes of educational planning and financing.
- Maintaining uniform standards of education throughout the country.
- Controlling the quality of education in the country through the supervisory role of the Inspectorate Services Department within the Ministry.
- Harmonizing educational policies and procedures of all the states of the federation through the instrumentality of the National Council on Education.
- Effecting co-operation in educational matters on an international scale.
- Developing curricula and syllabuses at the national level in conjunction with other bodies.