The United States of America- home to the city that never sleeps, the city of angels, and all the prestigious IVY leagues, is indeed one of the perfect places to study and settle down. The USA is deemed the land of opportunities and growth for people from all countries, backgrounds, and cultures, and the universities- from Yale to Stanford, Northwestern to Northeastern, Boston University to NYU, and many more, provide the perfect environment to facilitate this growth.
This plethora of some of the most outstanding and well-ranked universities comes with a high price tag that can be taken care of with a scholarship. Several scholarships available for international students cover a wide range of expenses, from tuition, books, and resources to student accommodation
Scholarships usually have prerequisites that a student might need to fulfill due to the high volume of applicants and competition. Some of these prerequisites include:
● Extra Curricular Activities
● High GPA
● Exceptional test scores
● Remarkable scholarship application
Below are five types of college-specific scholarships available for international students in the United States.
A scholarship is sponsored by the US Department of State; the Fulbright Scholarship is a fully funded scholarship for international students and is offered to Master's and PhD students. The Scholarship aims to promote cultural exchange through education amongst students, irrespective of the applicant’s demographics like age, gender, socioeconomic status, origin, colour, sexual orientation, and race.
The USA has been providing Fulbright Scholarships since 1946 to various international students from approximately 155 countries. These countries include India, the United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, and many more.
Type of Scholarship:
Fulbright Scholarship is a merit-based government-funded Scholarship that provides up to 2 to 5 years of funding for graduate and Ph.D level studies.
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program covers tuition fees, student accommodation fees, airfare, and health insurance during your study period.
The selection and eligibility criteria vary by country, and the required language is English.
Cornell University belongs to the IVY league and was founded in 1865. The Cornell University Scholarship is offered to international students pursuing undergraduate degrees. It is a need-based scholarship for students requiring financial aid. Cornell offers a variety of world-class courses ranging from Architecture, Business, Engineering and Human Ecology as a part of their undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s Degree).
Type of Scholarship:
Need-Based Scholarship for international students who applied for financial aid.
The Cornell Scholarship coverage criteria differ on a case-to-case basis.
● TOEFL score of 100 or IELTS score of 7
● SAT or ACTs required
● High school records for the past 3 years
● All official transcripts in English
● Arts, sciences, and engineering: Two SAT subjects of your choice, but math is essential for engineering
● Proof of financial need
3. Stanford University Scholarship- Knight Hennessy Scholarship
Stanford University was born in 1885 and has led the way toward discoveries in many fields for the last 125+ years. Stanford University’s Knight Hennessy Scholarship is one of the world's best and most well-recognized scholarship programs. The Knight Hennessy Scholars are touted as industry leaders who have paved the way toward global impact. You can undoubtedly find future leaders and academic magnets as a part of this scholarship program. The Scholarship is given to students pursuing their Master’s and PhD courses.
Type of Scholarship:
Merit-based Scholarship for academically exceptional students.
● A travel stipend covers an economy-class flight ticket for one annual trip to and from Stanford.
● An allowance for student housing and academic expenses
● A fellowship applied directly to cover tuition-associated fees.
● You should apply within four years and enroll within five years after you earn your bachelor’s degree.
● It would help if you exhibited mental sharpness, sought out knowledge and new experiences, and were full of original ideas.
● You should complete standardized tests (GMAT, GRE, LSAT, MCAT, etc.)
● It would help if you were ambitious and driven to improve yourself and a risk taker
● It would help if you exhibited self-awareness and persistence. Personally humble and kind, inclusive, respects difference, concerned for and helpful to others
● Fluency in English is required
● It would help if you had a minimum TOEFL score of 100
● You should be enrolled in a full-time Stanford Graduate Program.
4. Yale University Scholarship
Yale University was founded in 1701; it belongs to the IVY league and is the third oldest university in the United States. Well-known Nobel Laureates, Supreme Court Justices, US Presidents, and Rhodes Scholars have graduated from Yale. Around 63% of undergraduate students who attend Yale receive financial aid. The scholarships are available for undergraduate, graduate and PhD students.
Type of Scholarship:
Need-based Scholarship offering financial aid.
● Yale University scholarship covers 100% of the financial need demonstrated by the family.
● They consider your parent’s income, assets, and finances to determine the amount.
● The Scholarship can vary from a few hundred dollars to over $70,000 annually; the average Yale need-based scholarship is over $50,000.
● Students whose parents earn less than 65,000$ get complete coverage from the Yale University scholarship covers tuition and student housing
● TOEFL scores: Applicants should score 100 on the internet-based, 600 on the paper-based, and 250 on the computer-based tests
● IELTS scores of 7 and Pearson Test scores of 70
● You are entitled to receive an ACT or SAT testing fee waiver.
● Part of a federal, state, or local program that helps students from low-income families.
● You are a ward of the state/an orphan.
● Your annual family income falls within the Income Eligibility Guidelines by the USDA Food and Nutrition Service.
● You live in federally subsidized public housing, a foster home, or are homeless.
● Your family receives public assistance.
● You can provide a statement from a school official, college access counselor, financial aid officer, or community leader.
Boston University is a private research university that offers more than 300 programs of study. Founded in 1893, BU has been home to around 5000 international students yearly. The Presidential Scholarship is for students with exceptional academic achievement and is offered to first-year students with a study period of four years.
Type of Scholarship:
Merit-based academic Scholarship for undergraduates
The Presidential Scholarship provides $25,000 per academic year to international undergraduate applicants.
● You should be in the top 5% of your high school class.
● It would help if you had an SAT score above 1500 and an ACT score above 33.
● It would help if you showed extracurricular achievements in school and in the community.
● It would help if you were an incoming first-year student at Boston University.
In conclusion, receiving a scholarship for universities in the US requires grit, determination, and exceptionalism. These scholarships reward you for your hard work and help you stand out as the best version of yourself. Studying in the US feasibly for an international student is no cakewalk, but you will always have the support of scholarships that recognize your situation.
Every university provides a scholarship program based on its prioritization, so you must always look out for these programs while applying. Or let us make it easier for you by bringing more than 20,000 scholarships under one portal! Visit our scholarships portal and find your perfect match!
Getting a scholarship indeed helps you in budgeting your education. But indirectly you also save money on stay, food and other activities. And as we know that getting a cheap place to stay in the USA is very difficult, you can check out AmberStudent, an online student accommodation that helps you secure a
home of choice on your study abroad journey. Having served 80 million students (and counting),
AmberStudent is your one-stop shop for all your accommodation needs, from assistance to
booking and price match guarantees! You can also contact them on Facebook and Instagram and stay