Update your status of this course
The Hong Kong University Of Science And Technology (HKUST) Course/Program Name
Application closes on
National :01 Feb 
International :01 Feb 

PhD Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering - Energy Technology Concentration

 Course Level
Full Time

4 Years
 Start month

 Tuition fee

42100 HKD
42100 HKD

Application fee

International 300 HKD
National 300 HKD
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
Scores accepted
IELTS (min)6
TOEFL-IBT (min)80
TOEFL-PBT (min)550
GMAT (avg)610

About this course

The objectives of the postgraduate programs are to ensure that each student attains an in-depth understanding of advanced but fundamental chemical engineering topics; exercises intellectual curiosity in probing frontier chemical engineering subjects; develops an independent pursuit of new knowledge, both basic and applied; and engages in research that is at the cutting edge of this and related disciplines.

The postgraduate programs emphasize academic excellence and industrial relevance. Wherever possible, the programs are set in the light of local industrial needs and with the potential to create demand for new technologies.

Check further details on University website

Eligibility Criteria

Admission Requirements

Prior Educational Background 

  • For admission to the MPhil/PhD program, students must possess a good first degree or a Master's degree from a recognized university or an approved institution. An applicant's undergraduate background is not a precondition for admission. Students with a solid quantitative background and commitment to academic study and research are encouraged to apply. 

The GRE and the TOFEL Requirements 

  • On top of their academic performance, an applicant must demonstrate his/her capability for graduate studies by obtaining a satisfactory score in the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE, score around 1200) or other equivalent means. 
  • For applicants attended educational institutions where the medium of instruction was not English and whose first language is not English, a satisfactory score in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOFEL) is required.

Check further details on University website

Course Modules

  • The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) program requires students to complete at least 18 credits of postgraduate courses, with at least 9 credits in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, and a doctoral thesis of original research work. Students entering with a master’s or equivalent degree in Engineering or related discipline from outside the Department may be granted credit transfer of up to 9 credits by the Department Head and PG Coordinator. Students entering with a master’s degree from the Department will be granted credit transfer of up to 12 credits, subject to the approval of the Department Head and PG Coordinator. Students entering without a degree in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering are encouraged to take some CENG undergraduate core courses, subject to the approval of their thesis supervisor.
  • Students are also required to fulfill the school requirements on PhD programs stipulated in the section of School of Engineering.
  • All full-time and part-time students must take and pass ENGG 6770 Professional Development in Engineering and CENG 6770 Professional Development in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. Students may be exempted from certain ENGG 6770 events, subject to prior approval of the School. Part-time students may be exempted from a maximum of 50% of mini-workshops of CENG 6770, subject to prior approval of the Department. Students are expected to complete the Professional
  • Development courses in their first two years of study. Subject to the approval, part-time students may be given extension to complete the courses. HKUST MPhil graduates in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering who have taken and passed ENGG 6770 before may be exempted from taking the same course, subject to prior approval from the Department Head and PG Coordinator. Full-time students must also pass LANG 5001 Postgraduate English for Engineering Research Studies. Students may be exempted from taking LANG 5001 with the agreement of the Department Head and PG Coordinator. 
  • The credits earned from ENGG 6770, CENG 6770 and LANG 5001 cannot be counted toward the credit requirements.
  • Full-time students must take CENG 6800 Chemical Engineering Seminar at least four times, pass at least twice, and present at least two seminars during their study, counting the oral defense of their PhD thesis. Part-time students and students entering with the HKUST MPhil degree in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering must take CENG 6800 at least twice, pass at least once, and present at least one seminar during their study, counting the oral defense of their PhD thesis.

Energy Technology Concentration

In addition to the program requirements specified above, students who opt for the Energy Technology concentration are required to:

  • Take one ENEG course;
  • Complete ENEG 6010 Advanced Topics in Energy Technology for one term.
  • They can use ENEG 6010 to replace one term of registration of CENG 6800; and
  • Conduct research in energy area.


Check further details on University website

How to Apply

Application Requirements

  • Transcript
  • Degree Certificate(s), if graduated
  • For applicants graduated from University in Mainland China, please upload both Degree Certificate and Graduation Certificate.
  • English proficiency proof / certificate (i.e. IELTS / TOEFL / Medium of Instruction) (if applicable)
  • GRE and GMAT scores are not required. Fresh graduates may provide information on work experience and professional qualification if they are available. Applicants may also upload other information not listed above but helpful to the admission committee to make the best decision.
  • Please note all submitted information will be kept confidential and will only be kept for a certain period of time. All application material will not be returned to the applicants by any means.

Check further details on University website

Questions about this Course

No discussions right now. Be the first one to start.

Hey, ask a question or start a discussion here

Choose your question type:

Q/A Profile evaluation Poll Interview experience

Join the largest Study Abroad community      Log in      Sign up