Update your status of this course
Humboldt University of Berlin Course/Program Name
Application closes on
National :30 Jun 
International :30 Apr 
EU :30 Jun 

MSc International Master in Rural Development

 Course Level
Masters / PG
Full Time

2 Years
 Start month

 Tuition fee


Application fee

International 75 EUR
National 75 EUR
Institute for Horticultural and Agricultural Sciences
Scores accepted
IELTS (min)5
TOEFL-IBT (min)87
GRE (avg)324
GMAT (avg)560

Get the best abroad education loan at free of cost

WeMakeScholars initiative is supported by the Govt. of India; associated with 10+ public/private banks & NBFCs.

Due to high number of loan requests from your region, we are not accepting any new applications at the moment. We believe in offering quality service to our customers.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

About this course

The international Master Programme Rural Development (IMRD) is under the Erasmus + Programme of the European Commission. It is offered jointly by six European universities: University of Ghent (Belgium), Humboldt University of Berlin (Germany), Agro Campus Ouest (France), University of Wageningen (Netherlands), Agricultural University of Nitra (Slovakia) and University of Pisa (Italy) and assigns as statements a joint Master of the higher education institutions involved.

Affiliated partner institutions in third countries - University of Pretoria (South Africa), Agricultural University of Bangalore (India), Agricultural University of Nanjing and Agricultural University Bejing (China), Escuela Superior Politécnica del Litoral Guayaquil (Ecuador) - offer individual training components in IMRD degree program.

Check further details on University website

Eligibility Criteria

Evidence of the English language skills required (level B2) should be submitted in one of the following four formats. Although this evidence is only requested upon matriculation, for your own protection, you should make sure it is available when applying:

  • School certificates: Performance level averaging at least 5 points over the last four semesters of the university admission qualification (Abitur) (qualification stage) on the English advanced courseor 
  • Cambridge First Certificate in English (B-C) or 
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Certificate (min. 5.0) or 
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL, www.ets.org/toefl/): internet-based test with min. 87 points, paper-based test with min. 560 points or
  • UNIcert® II-Zertifikat: 3,0.

It is absolutely vital for Bachelor students to have a good command of German language if studies at Humboldt are to be successful. Most of the courses for the undergraduate students are taught in German! Don't be afraid, even if the course is held in German, students may take the exam in English.

During the application procedure, students have to take an online language test (called "C-Test").This test is the only German certificate accepted. It may not be substituted by any other certificate!

  • Minimum Score: 61 points (out of 100), equivalent to B1-level in the CEFR
  • Applicants who scored 50-60 points will be required to take an intensive German language course before the term starts (e.g. Intensive Language course at HU).
  • If the student does not achieve at least ≥ 61 points afterwards, there is no opportunity to be enrolled at HU.

In certain cases (please contact us - only possible with special permit!) we can deviate from the strict German language requirement. We offer about 5-10 courses in English for Bachelor students, which limits the choice of courses dramatically!

Please note that this is an exceptional rule that does not apply automatically. You will be only able to use this option if you are advanced in your studies and if we agreed on a special case permit prior to your application.

So, especially if students are required to do a certain amount of credits, this may force them to take Master-level courses. These will obviously be more demanding.

For Bachelor students who have the permission to take English classes only, the same language requirements as for Master students apply (see below). Furthermore, a confirmation of your home coordinator that you are allowed to follow master coures is needed!

Check further details on University website

Course Modules

Within the IMRD's degree plus 2 specific training courses to acquire an MSc Double Degree offered:

ATLANTIS-training program in cooperation with the University of Arkansas (USA)

  • Transatlantic training program particularly for European students. Students of ATLANTIS program complete two years of study (120 ECTS) to gain a double degree in Rural Development and Agricultural Economics of the participating universities. Detailed information on the objectives and the implementation of the program and funding opportunities, please visit: www.transatlantis.ugent.be

EKAFREE-training program in cooperation with a consortium of South Korean universities: Korea University, Seoul National University and Chungbuk National University

  • Transnational training course for European and South Korean candidates. Students of EKAFREE program complete two years of study (120 ECTS) to gain a double degree in Rural Development and Agricultural Economics of the participating universities. The exchange program is sponsored by the European Commission under the Education cooperation with non-European industrialized countries. 

Check further details on University website

How to Apply

The printed and signed application form, including all the necessary documents in paper form (as
officially authenticated copies), must be received by UNI-ASSIST by the deadline set for the course

1. Please note that an application cannot be considered unless UNI-ASSIST has received
all the required documentation within the prescribed period.

The following documents must be attached to an application:

  • authenticated copies of educational certificates obtained so far, including the secondary schoolleaving certificate together with marks received and, if applicable, university entrance examinationdocumentation, evidence of study areas and grades obtained in previous studies, or graduationcertificate;
  • enrolment certificate, if you are a student at another German or European higher education institution at the time you apply for a place at Humboldt, or certificate of exmatriculation (Exmatrikulationsbescheinigung) specifying the areas of study if you have previously studied at another higher education institution in Germany, EU, Iceland, Norway,Liechtenstein or Switzerland;
  • evidence of German language skills (see point 2);
  • German translations of all certificates (exception: documents in English);
  • CV starting with the beginning of school education up till now;
  • a current passport-sized photo;
  • the UNI-ASSIST receipt (proof of fees paid);
  • a photocopy of your passport (authentication is not required).

Check further details on University website

Questions about this Course

No discussions right now. Be the first one to start.

Hey, ask a question or start a discussion here

Choose your question type:

Q/A Profile evaluation Poll Interview experience

Join the largest Study Abroad community      Log in      Sign up