Update your status of this course
Cornell University Course/Program Name
Application closes on
National :01 Feb 
International :01 Feb 

ME / MEng Biological and Environmental Engineering

 Course Level
Masters / PG
Full Time

2 Years
 Start month

 Tuition fee

48900 USD
48900 USD

Application fee

International 95 USD
National 95 USD
Department of Biological and Environmental Engineering
Scores accepted
IELTS (min)7
TOEFL-IBT (min)100
TOEFL-PBT (min)600
GRE (avg)317
GMAT (avg)700

World University Ranking

Get the best abroad education loan at free of cost

WeMakeScholars initiative is supported by the Govt. of India; associated with 10+ public/private banks & NBFCs.

Due to high number of loan requests from your region, we are not accepting any new applications at the moment. We believe in offering quality service to our customers.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

About this course

The Master of Engineering (MEng) is a professional degree program in the department of Biological and Environmental Engineeringin the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at Cornell University.

The program is intended for those who have a Bachelors degree or equivalent in an engineering or closely related science field from a college or university of recognized standing. Students in the MEng program must have a Biological and Environmental Engineering (BEE) faculty advisor who is a member of the BEE graduate field, and they must satisfactorily complete a curriculum approved by that advisor which meets the degree requirements of the program.

Cornell students who are within one to eight credits of completing their engineering baccalaureate degree may apply to the MEng program as “early admit students”. The early admit application must be made in the semester prior to the last undergraduate term and, if admitted, the student must submit an intended set of master of engineering courses approved by their MEng advisor prior to the start of their studies. Early admit students complete their Bachelors degree and spend at least one full-time semester enrolled in the graduate school prior to the conferral of their MEng Degree. Early admit students are classified as undergraduate students and pay undergraduate tuition during the early admit semester.

The Program Educational Objectives
The program educational objectives of the Master of Engineering Program in Biological and Environmental Engineering is to have students:

  • Advance in careers and opportunities related to biological and environmental engineering and other related fields and professions by gaining technical knowledge of a specialization through coursework related to their area of study.
  • Prepare for a professional career in industry, consulting, government, or research by completing a project that allows deeper study of a specialization of the student’s interest.

Check further details on University website

Eligibility Criteria

Required Tests
Most fields require applicants to submit Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores. Several fields requireGraduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). International applicants must meet our English language proficiency requirement and may be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores.

English Language Proficiency Requirement

What you need to know:

  • As an international applicant, you must demonstrate proficiency in the English language by taking a TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam. (See exceptions.)
  • Cornell must receive official TOEFL or IELTS scores before the university can process your application.
  • TOEFL and IELTS scores are valid only if dated within two years of your program's application deadline.
  • Check minimum TOEFL and IELTS score requirements with individual graduate fields. Some fields' minimum score requirements are higher than the Graduate School's

English Language Proficiency Requirement
All international applicants must demonstrate proficiency in the English language. International students demonstrate proficiency by submitting official test scores from TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System). Cornell does not accept PTE Academic scores or any other alternatives. An application cannot be considered complete until Cornell receives official scores from ETS or IELTS.  An offer of admission will not be made, nor will a visa document be issued if an application is incomplete. If your TOEFL or IELTS scores do not meet the requirement, we cannot issue a visa document, and you will not be able to enter the country.

For applicants living in regions where the TOEFL iBT is not available, Cornell will accept scores for the paper-based test (PBT). Although individual graduate fields may require higher scores, The Graduate School's official minimum sub-scores for each element of the TOEFL iBT are:

  • Speaking: 22
  • Reading: 20
  • Listening: 15
  • Writing: 20

Send scores to Cornell University Graduate School, Code # 2098.
The TOEFL score must be dated within two years of your program's application deadline. Photocopies of TOEFL score reports will not be accepted.
Take the TOEFL early enough to have the results submitted at the time of your application. Exam dates are posted on the TOEFL web site. Please note that we cannot confirm receipt of test scores until an applicant has submitted an online application.
If you receive your test results and any sub-score does not meet the requirement, you should make arrangements to retake the test.

The Graduate School requires an overall band score of a 7.0 or higher on the IELTS.

  • When you register for the exam, you may select up to five institutions to which you would like to have your Test Report Form (TRF) mailed. You may also submit a request to your test center to have additional TRFs sent to institutions not originally listed on your registration form.
  • Have IELTS send your Test Report Form (either by postal mail, or electronically) to Cornell University -- Graduate Admissions. Please do not e-mail a scanned copy, or mail a photocopy of your TRF.

The English language proficiency requirement may be waived if the applicant meets at least one of these criteria:

  •  Is a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, or a citizen of the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or Canada (except Quebec). Applicants who are citizens of India, Pakistan, the Philippines, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc. are not exempt from the requirement.
  • At the time you enroll at Cornell, you will have studied in full-time status for at least two academic years within the last five years in the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand, or with English language instruction in Canada or South Africa. Even if English was the language of instruction at your school, if you did not study in one of these countries you are not exempt from the requirement. You must submit a transcript that shows you attended college in one of the approved locations, and that your academic program was at least two years in length.

Check further details on University website

Course Modules

Degree Requirements

Curriculums will be decided by consulting with faculty adviser.

Degree Requirements:

  • 1. At least 30 semester hours, of which at least 24 credit hours must be in the College of Engineering. Overall 30 credits includes up to 9 credits of BEE 5951-5952.
  • 2. At least 28 hours must be taken for letter grade, with no grades below C-.
  • 3. A minimum of 3 credits to a maximum of 9 credits of BEE 5951-5952, Master of Engineering Design Project, completed for letter grade. The design project requires a final report that is filed in Cornell’s electronic library and a formal presentation of the project to the graduate faculty.
  • 4. A minimum of 9 credits must be taken in the Biological and Environmental Engineering Department (no more than 6 credits of design project can be used for these credits).
  • 5. The remaining credits are approved by the faculty advisor, who must be a member of the Engineering College Faculty. Courses covering subject matter previously taken may not be repeated for credit.

Check further details on University website

How to Apply

Application Requirements

Applicants with a cumulative undergraduate GPA greater than 2.7 may be admitted directly by decision of the BEE graduate field. Students with a cumulative GPA between 2.5 and 2.7 may be admitted conditionally by recommendation of the field and approval of the College of Engineering Master of Engineering Committee. (The GPA values are based on a 4.3 scale.)

Applicants may be admitted with science and engineering degrees that are relevant to research programs in the graduate field of Biological and Environmental Engineering. It is expected that master of engineering candidates who do not have a comprehensive background in engineering will use the program as an opportunity to reinforce their understanding of core topics and expand their breadth of knowledge in the field by enrolling in appropriate advanced undergraduate courses. Candidates develop their course plan together with their MEng. faculty advisor.

By now, you have learned about the Graduate School’s field structure, explored our wide array of offerings, and identified a degree program that will offer a great fit for your research interests and career objectives. You are ready to apply!

Before getting started, make sure that you thoroughly understand your field’s admissions requirements and have gathered all of the necessary materials. You should also review  important application policies.

Important Application Policies
Application deadlines vary by field. Please review field listings for the most current dates.

Applying to more than one field:
You may submit one application for a given term; multiple applications will not be processed. If you are not offered admission, you may contact one different graduate field and ask to have your application reviewed. If the new field's deadline has not passed and that field is willing to review your application, you should contact your original field and request that they forward your materials.

Application can be made to major fields only. Please review the field of study listing to verify that you are applying to a major field.

Credentialing services or other forms of paid professional assistance:
Cornell University expects all applicants to complete their application materials without the use of paid agents, credentialing services, or other paid professional assistance.

The use of such services violates University policy, and may lead to the rejection of application materials, the revocation of an admissions offer, cancellation of admission, or involuntary withdrawal from the University.

Unsolicited application materials:
Publications, award certificates, resumes, theses, and similar materials should not be sent unless prior approval has been given by the field of study to which you are applying. Mail any approved materials directly to the graduate field, not to the Graduate School.

Contact the field to which you are applying for its notification timeline. In most cases, offers of financial aid are made no later than April 1.

Deferring an admission offer:
Generally, you are offered admission for a particular semester. If you want to defer admission, you must receive approval from your graduate field.

 At Cornell, graduate admissions decisions are made by faculty in your proposed field of study. Although the Graduate School coordinates the admission process and establishes minimum requirements for admission (listed below), application deadlines and additional requirements vary by field of study and degree program.

For all applicants:

  • Take required tests
  • Request recommendations
  • Write a statement of purpose
  • Prepare transcripts
  • Check with your field to confirm supplemental requirements

For international applicants:

  • International transcripts
  • International degree equivalencies
  • English language proficiency

 References are a required part of the Graduate School application. Students must submit the names and contact information for their references directly on the application. These faculty receive an email with a link to an online form to complete the reference. Referees can upload or type directly into the text box provided.

Number of recommendations:
Most fields require two or three letters of recommendation. Please check field admissions requirements for your proposed field.

Ph.D., M.A. and M.S. applicants: Letters must be submitted by faculty members from your college or institution who are acquainted with your work. If that work occurred some time ago, check with the field to see whether recommendations from those familiar with your professional performance might be acceptable.

Applicants for professional masters degrees: Letters may be submitted by faculty members or those familiar with your professional performance.  Contact your field for specific guidance.

Your rights:
Under federal legislation, enrolled students may have access to their letters of recommendation. Your right of access can be waived by checking the appropriate box on the online application.

Statements of Purpose
 Each applicant must submit a statement of purpose. The statement of purpose is your opportunity to help reviewers better understand your academic objectives and determine if you are a good match for the field to which you are applying.

Length and Format:
The statement should be one or two pages. Include your full name and the proposed field of study at the top of each page. Please use a standard font and font size for ease of reading.

The statement of purpose should include your reasons for undertaking graduate work and an explanation of your academic interests, including their relation to your undergraduate study and professional goals.

Some fields ask that you address particular questions in your statement of purpose. Please check with your field for field requirements.

 Transcripts from each previously attended college or university are required. Please inform the graduate field if the name on any credential will be different from that on your application.

To submit a transcript, applicants must follow the steps below:

  • Redact, cross out or cover your Social Security Number (SSN) on paper transcripts prior to scanninng. Please do not upload transcripts that include your SSN.
  • Scan each transcript (and English translation, if required) as a PDF, TIFF, JPEG or GIF file.  The file size must be less than 10mb. 
  • Ensure the scanned image is clear and easy to read.
  • Upload the scanned transcript(s) into the on-line application as part of the submissions process.

**If you are unable to submit your transcript electronically, you must send a transcript from each college or university previously attended directly to the field to which you are applying using the mailing addresses provided on the field of study pages.

Admitted students are required to submit an official paper transcript directly to The Graduate School prior to matriculation. This requirement will appear on the "response to offer of admission" form and the New Student Checklist.

International Transcripts
Successful applicants will have received a baccalaureate degree from a college or university of recognized standing. For students with foreign credentials, an equivalent international degree is required.

Requirements for international credentials:

  • All transcripts, diplomas or academic records must be official documents issued by the college or university and provided in the original language.If not issued by the college or university as original documents, they should be notarized, full-sized photocopies.
  • A certified English translation must accompany the transcript or diploma if the original language is not English.
  • Transcripts should include grades received in each subject each year, the name of the degree program in which the applicant is enrolled, and the dates of attendance.
  • Transcripts should be scanned and uploaded at the time of application. Admitted applicants will be required to send an official paper transcript prior to registration, as well as a certified copy of their diploma or degree certificate.



Check further details on University website

Questions about this Course

No discussions right now. Be the first one to start.

Hey, ask a question or start a discussion here

Choose your question type:

Q/A Profile evaluation Poll Interview experience

Join the largest Study Abroad community      Log in      Sign up