The minimum entry requirements for all Biochemistry/Biotechnology courses are AAA overall at A2 level, to include:
- A in Chemistry
- A in another science subject (Biology is preferred but not mandatory) or Mathematics
The ideal combinations would be Chemistry and two further science subjects or Chemistry and one further science subject and Mathematics, but other combinations are considered.
Other qualifications, such as General Studies, Key Skills or Critical Thinking, while useful, will not count towards an offer.
Two AS levels may be acceptable in place of a third A level. This is in addition to Grade B or above in GCSE Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology (or Combined Sciences), and English Language (or an overall score of 7.0 in IELTS with 6.5 in each element).
LANGUAGES FOR SCIENCE DEGREES
You must achieve a minimum grade B in the relevant foreign language to AS level (or equivalent).
For students following the International Baccalaureate, an overall score of 38 points is required to join the Biochemistry and Biotechnology stream, including 6 in Chemistry and Biology at higher level. Applicants must have a score of 5 in English at standard level.
For Biochemistry/Biotechnology with French, German or Spanish for Science, an overall score of 38 points is required, including 6 in Chemistry and either Biology or Mathematics at higher level. Applicants must have a score of 6 in the relevant language at standard level.
Accepted English Qualifications
- AS Level/A-level
- Cambridge Advanced English (CAE)
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
- European Baccalaureate
- GCSE or GCE 'O' Level
- Hong Kong AS Level
- Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examinations Syllabus B
- Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education
- International Baccalaureate
- International Option of the French Baccalaureat (OIB)
- Irish Leaving Certificate
- Malaysian Certificate of Education (Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia)
- Scottish Standard Grade
- Singapore Cambridge A-Levels
- Singapore Cambridge O-Levels
- Singapore Integrated Programme Cambridge A Levels (SIPCAL)
- USA Advanced Placement Examination
- West African Examinations Council (WAEC)
Check further details on University website