Update your status of this course
University of California, Davis Course/Program Name
Application closes on
National :30 Nov 
International :30 Nov 

BE Material Science and Engineering

 Course Level
Bachelors / UG
Full Time

4 Years
 Start month

 Tuition fee

38659 USD
13951 USD

Application fee

International 80 USD
National 70 USD
College of Engineering
Scores accepted
IELTS (min)7
TOEFL-IBT (min)108
TOEFL-PBT (min)550
SAT (avg)1290
ACT (avg)320

Get the best abroad education loan at free of cost

WeMakeScholars initiative is supported by the Govt. of India; associated with 10+ public/private banks & NBFCs.

Due to high number of loan requests from your region, we are not accepting any new applications at the moment. We believe in offering quality service to our customers.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

About this course

Materials science and engineering is directed toward an understanding of the structure, properties, and processing of materials. Society demands new and improved materials with capabilities far superior to common metals, polymers, and ceramics. New materials are needed for high-speed transportation systems, surgical and dental implants, new generations of power plants, renewable energy sources, and solid-state electronic and photonics devices in computer and communication technology. Both the development of new materials and the understanding of present-day materials demand a thorough knowledge of basic engineering and scientific principles, including crystal structure, elastic and plastic behavior, thermodynamics, phase equilibria and reaction rates, and structural and physical and chemical behavior of engineering materials.

Check further details on University website

Eligibility Criteria

Achieve a minimum score of 550 on the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), 213 on the computer-based TOEFL or 80 on the Internet-based TOEFL.
Achieve a minimum score of 7 (academic module) on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
Achieve a score of 3, 4 or 5 on the AP Exam in English Language and Composition or English Literature and Composition.
Achieve a score of 5, 6 or 7 on the International Baccalaureate (IB), Higher Level examination in English (Language A).
Achieve a score of 6 or higher on the International Baccalaureate (IB), Standard Level examination in English (Language A).
Achieve a score of 560 or higher on the Writing section of the SAT Reasoning Test.
Complete one transferable college courses (3 semester or 4-5 quarter units each) in English composition with "C" grades or better at an accredited U.S. college or university.

Check further details on University website

Course Modules

  • Mathematics 21A-21B-21C-21D 16
  • Mathematics 22A-22B 6
  • Physics 9A-9B-9C-9D 19
  • Chemistry 2A, 2B, 2C or Chemistry 2AH, 2BH, 2CH 15
  • Engineering 17, 45 or 45Y 8
  • Materials Science and Engineering 2 2
  • Chemical Engineering and Materials Science 6 4
  • English 3 or University Writing Program 1 or Comparative Literature 1, 2, 3, or 4, or Native American Studies 5 (grade of C- or better required) 4
  • Communication 1 or 3 4
  • Engineering 190 3
  • Materials Science and Engineering 160, 162, 162L, 164, 172, 172L, 174, 174L, 180, 181, 188A, 188B 42
  • Select one course from Engineering 180, Mathematics 135A, Statistics 120, 131A, Civil and Environmental Engineering 114, Chemical Engineering 140, Mechanical Engineering 115, or Physics 104A 4
  • Select one course from Chemistry 110A, 124A, 128A, or Physics 108 and 108L, 110A, 122A, 151, 160 3
  • A minimum of 14 units from one of the following focus areas:
  • Biomedical Engineering: Biology 2A, Biomedical Engineering 20, 106*, 109
  • Biological Systems Engineering: Biology 2A, Engineering 100, Biological Systems Engineering 75, 165
  • Chemical Engineering: Chemical Engineering 51, 140, 141, 142
  • Civil Engineering: Engineering 35, 104, Civil Engineering 130, 132
  • Electrical Engineering: Engineering 100, Electrical Engineering 140A, 140B, 146A
  • Mechanical Engineering: Engineering 35, 102, 103, 104 14
  • Select one course from Chemical Engineering 158A, Materials Science Engineering 170, Engineering 106, 160, 188, or Civil Engineering 123, 125, 143 3-4
  • Depending on area of focus, 6-9 units of upper division electives 6-9
  • Students may receive up to a maximum of 4 units of credit for engineering 199 courses, when these courses are approved by the departmental undergraduate studies committee. To receive credit, students must submit a summary of their research to the committee. A letter of support from the faculty mentor is also required to verify that you have conducted substantial research activity.
  • *Students would need to take Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior 101 as an elective to enroll in Biomedical Engineering 106
  • Upper Division Composition Requirement 0 or 4

Check further details on University website

How to Apply


Don't submit your transcripts to UC at this point, but refer to them as you fill out the application to ensure the information you enter is accurate

Test scores

If you're a freshman or sophomore applicant, you'll have to include your scores from the ACT with Writing or the SAT Reasoning Test. (If you're applying for fall, be sure to complete these tests by December). All applicants should report scores for any SAT Subject Tests, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, TOEFL or IELTS exams they have taken.


Annual income for last year and the current year (your parents' if you're a dependent; your income if you're independent).

This is optional unless you're applying for an application fee waiver or for the Educational Opportunity Program.

Social Security number, if you have one.

We use this to match your application to things like your test score report, final transcript(s) and, if you're applying for financial aid, your Free Application for Federal Student Aid.

Citizenship status

You must enter your country of citizenship (or "No Selection"). If your country of citizenship is outside the United States, you'll need to provide your immigration status and your visa type.

California Statewide Student ID (optional)

Each K-12 student in California public schools is assigned an ID number. If it's not printed on your transcript, ask your counselor or registrar.

Credit card

If you prefer to pay by check, you can mail your payment.

Check further details on University website

Join the largest Study Abroad community      Log in      Sign up