Update your status of this course
University of Melbourne Course/Program Name
Application closes on
National :30 Sep 
International :30 Sep 

BA Music Performance

Catalog id : 058837J
 Course Level
Bachelors / UG
Full Time

3 Years
 Start month

 Tuition fee

15000 AUD
15000 AUD

Application fee

International 29 AUD
National 29 AUD
Faculty of Music
Scores accepted
IELTS (min)6.5
TOEFL-IBT (min)79
SAT (avg)577

World University Ranking

About this course

  • Our extensive Music Performance program offers you a wide variety of performance experiences.
  • Individual lessons, instrument classes and concert practice form the basis of the performance curriculum, with a strong focus on individual instrumental or vocal development together with opportunities for collaborative music making.
  • You will learn from highly experienced teachers who will assist you in developing your instrumental or vocal potential to the fullest. During your studies you will participate in one of the most extensive ensemble programs in Australia, with options including the University of Melbourne Orchestra, Javanese Gamelan, Big Band, Wind Symphony, World Music Choir and many instrumental, vocal, new music and early music ensembles, as well as an extensive chamber music program.
  • The performance area also hosts a wide array of concerts and masterclasses given by distinguished national and international performers and teachers. You will experience many performance opportunities in the weekly instrument classes, concert practice classes and ensemble performances that occur regularly throughout the semester.

Study is offered in the following instrument areas:

  • Brass
  • Guitar
  • Keyboard
  • Percussion
  • Strings
  • Voice
  • Woodwind.


The Music Performance major can be your pathway to a range of employment options within a musical portfolio career, including:

  • Accompanist
  • Chamber musician
  • Concert agent
  • Concert manager
  • Instrumental and/or classroom music teacher
  • Music administrator
  • Opera company/chorus member
  • Orchestral musician
  • Sessional musician for film, television, live shows, music theatre, recording sessions
  • Touring soloist or ensemble member.


Check further details on University website

Eligibility Criteria

Qualification                                                                     Prerequisite Subjects   

  • VCE (units 3 and 4)                                       -  A study score of at least 25 in English/English Language/Literature or at least 30 in EAL
  • International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma          -  English
  • GCE A Levels/Singapore A Levels                     -  At least Grade C in an accepted AS Level English subject
  • Trinity College Foundation Studies                    -  EAP (a score of at least 50%) and English, History of Ideas (Adv), Music, best 4 score of 67.

Check further details on University website

Course Modules


  • Practical Music 1
  • Music History 1: Monteverdi to Mozart
  • Music Elective
  • Breadth Elective


  • Practical Music 2
  • Music Language 1: the Diatonic World
  • Music Elective
  • Breadth Elective


  • Practical Music 3
  • Music History 2: C19th Music and Ideas
  • Music Elective
  • Breadth Elective


  • Practical Music 4ELECTIVE
  • Music Language 2: Chromaticism & Beyond
  • Music Elective/sELECTIVE
  • Breadth ElectiveELECTIVE


  • Practical Music 5
  • Music History 3:Impressionism to Present
  • Music Elective
  • Music OR Breadth Elective


  • Practical Music 6ELECTIVE
  • Music Language 3: Modern DirectionsCORE
  • Music Elective ELECTIVE
  • Music OR Breadth Elective

Check further details on University website

How to Apply

Studying Year 12 in Australia

  • You should apply through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC). Full details about the VTAC application process can be found on the VTAC website. Through VTAC, you can list up to 12 course preferences. You should list courses in your order of preference with the course of greatest interest listed first. Be sure that your application is finalised by the VTAC due dates.
  • If you have previously applied to the University of Melbourne via VTAC but were not offered a place or were offered but never enrolled, you should apply as a new student.
  • If you're studying interstate, you can find more specific application information for your state in one of our application flyers: NSW/ACT QLD SA TAS WA

Current University of Melbourne international students

  • If you're an international student currently studying at the University of Melbourne and you wish to transfer to another University of Melbourne course, you must submit your transfer application via the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC). Be sure that your application is finalised by the VTAC due dates.

All other international students

  • You can apply online using our e-application.
  • Please ensure your application is received by us before the relevant deadline. An application fee of AUD$100 applies. This fee is non-refundable.
  • Alternatively, if you would prefer to apply in person in your own country, we have a number of overseas representatives in a variety of countries. Search our list of overseas representatives to find one near you.
  • If you have accepted an offer from another institution in Australia, been granted a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) and want to transfer to the University of Melbourne within the first six months of study you will need a letter of release from that institution. Please see our International Student Transfer Policy for more details.
  • International Baccalaureate and US Advanced Placement students
  • You can choose to have your IB or AP results sent directly to the University as soon as they are released. Please make sure you advise us in your application if you have authorised the release of your results.
  • University of Melbourne AP institution code: 9015
  • University of Melbourne IB institution code: 002406

Check further details on University website

Questions about this Course

No discussions right now. Be the first one to start.

Hey, ask a question or start a discussion here

Choose your question type:

Q/A Profile evaluation Poll Interview experience

Join the largest Study Abroad community      Log in      Sign up