Update your status of this course
University of California, Berkeley (UCB) Course/Program Name
Application closes on
National :30 Nov 
International :30 Nov 

BA Development Studies

 Course Level
Bachelors / UG
Full Time

4 Years
 Start month

 Tuition fee

28510 USD
13518 USD

Application fee

International 80 USD
National 70 USD
International & Area Studies Academic Program
Scores accepted
IELTS (min)6.5
TOEFL-IBT (min)80
TOEFL-PBT (min)550
SAT (avg)1330
ACT (avg)27

Get the best abroad education loan at free of cost

WeMakeScholars initiative is supported by the Govt. of India; associated with 10+ public/private banks & NBFCs.

Due to high number of loan requests from your region, we are not accepting any new applications at the moment. We believe in offering quality service to our customers.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

About this course

Bachelor of Arts (BA)
The Development Studies (DS) major focuses on social transformation or change. The problems of social transformation are urgent, massive, complex, and often transcend the boundaries of conventional academic disciplines.

DS examines the problems, processes, and prospects for the development of human and material resources in what are generally thought to be the less developed areas of the world. To study comparative development effectively, one must draw upon many disciplines and construct a balanced understanding of historical and contemporary processes. Thus, studying development as a social transformation requires a blending of knowledge and perspectives from political science, economics, sociology, psychology, anthropology, geography, history, and environmental science.

Check further details on University website

Eligibility Criteria

All Berkeley applicants must meet the following requirement to be minimally eligible for admission the University of California:

  • Meet the subject requirement by completing a minimum of 15 college-preparatory courses ("a-g" courses), with at least 11 finished prior to the beginning of your senior year;
  • Earn a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better (3.4 for nonresidents) in these courses with no grade lower than a C; and
  • Meet the examination requirement by taking the ACT Plus Writing or the SAT Reasoning Test by December of your senior year. 

Note: UC no longer requires SAT Subject Tests (except to qualify for consideration of admission by examination alone), but certain programs at Berkeley recommend them.

Subject Requirement
You must complete a minimum of 15 college-preparatory ("a-g") courses, with at least 11 finished prior to the beginning of your senior year. The 15 courses are:

a. History/Social Science: Two years required. Two years of history/social science, including one year of world history, cultures, and geography (may be a single year-long course or two one-semester courses); and one year of US history or one-half year of US history and one-half year of civics or American government.

b. English: Four years required. Four years of college-preparatory English that include frequent writing, from brainstorming to final paper, and reading of classic and modern literature. No more than one year of ESL-type courses can be used to meet this requirement.

c. Mathematics: Three years required; four years recommended. Three years of college-preparatory mathematics that include the topics covered in elementary and advanced algebra and two- and three-dimensional geometry. Approved integrated math courses may be used to fulfill part or all of this requirement, as may math courses taken in the seventh and eighth grades that your high school accepts as equivalent to its own courses.

d. Laboratory Science: Two years required; three years recommended. Two years of laboratory science providing fundamental knowledge in two of these three foundational subjects: biology, chemistry, and physics. The final two years of an approved three-year integrated science program that provides rigorous coverage of at least two of the three foundational subjects may be used to fulfill this requirement.

e. Language Other than English: Two years (or equivalent to the second level of high school instruction of the same language other than English) required; three years (third level of high school instruction) recommended. Courses should emphasize speaking and understanding, and include instruction in grammar, vocabulary, reading, composition, and culture. American Sign Language and classical languages, such as Latin and Greek, are acceptable. Courses taken in the seventh and eighth grades may be used to fulfill all or part of this requirement if your high school accepts them as equivalent to its own courses.

f. Visual and Performing Arts (VPA): One year required. One year-long approved course of visual and performing arts from the following: dance, drama/theater, music, or visual art.

g. College-Preparatory Electives: One year required. One year (two semesters), in addition to those required in "a-f" above, chosen from the following areas: visual and performing arts (non-introductory-level courses), history, social science, English, advanced mathematics, laboratory science and language other than English (a third year in the language used for the "e" requirement or two years of another language).

Examination Requirements

  • You must submit scores from either: the ACT Plus Writing or the SAT Reasoning Test. Students may submit official scores from either test. We will use the highest scores from a single test administration.
  • College of Chemistry and College of Engineering applicants only: While SAT Subject Tests are not required, the presence of SAT Subject Tests--particularly in a science and Math Level 2--will be considered value-added, as would evidence of high academic performance in math and science.

Eligibility by Examination Alone

  • If you don't meet UC's minimum requirements, you may still be considered for admission by earning high scores on the ACT Plus Writing or the SAT Reasoning Test, plus two SAT Subject Tests. To qualify for consideration for admission to UC by examination, you must earn a minimum UC Score total.
  • In addition, you must earn a minimum UC score of 63 on each component of the ACT or SAT Reasoning Test and on each SAT Subject Test.
  • You may not use an SAT Subject Test to meet these requirements if you have completed a transferable college course in that subject with a grade of C or better.

Additional Information Regarding Requirements
In addition, applicants who are residents of California will be offered admission somewhere in the UC system if space is available, and they:

  • Rank in the top 9% of all high school graduates statewide (according the UC admissions index); or
  • Rank in the top 9% of their graduating class at a participating high school. This is also referred to as "Eligibility of the Local Context (ELC)."

Language Requirements

Proficiency in English is critical to success at UC Berkeley.

One of the following exams is:

  • required for any student whose language of instruction is not English for the last three academic years of secondary school
  • recommended for all international applicants from non-English-speaking countries

These exams are:

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS) - a score of 6.5 or higher on the academic module or
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) - a score of 80 or higher on the TOEFL iBT or 550 or higher on the paper-based exam

Language exam results must be received in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions no later than January prior to the fall semester in which the student wishes to enroll.  Our code is 4833, same as the SAT. 

Eligibility in the Local Context
If you rank in the top 9% of students in your California high school class--and your high school participates in our Eligibility in the Local Context (ELC) program--you may be eligible for the ELC designation.

We will identify the top 9% of students on the basis of GPA in UC-approved coursework completed in the 10th and 11th grades. To be considered for ELC, you must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and complete the following "a-g" courses prior to your senior year:

  • History/social science: 1 year
  • English: 2 years
  • Mathematics: 2 years
  • Laboratory Science: 1 year
  • Language other than English: 1 year
  • College-preparatory elective (chosen from the subjects listed above or in another course approved by the University): 4 year-long courses or equivalent

After you enter your coursework and grades in your application, we'll compare your GPA to the historic top GPA for your school. If you meet or exceed that GPA, you'll be designated ELC and we'll add a note to your application. Applications from California will be automatically screened for ELC eligibility when they are submitted.

Freshman Selection

The campus selects its freshman class through and assessment that includes a holistic review of your academic performance as measured primarily by:

  • Your weighted and unweighted UC grade point average (calculated using 10th and 11th grade UC-approved courses only)
  • Your planned 12th-grade courses
  • Your pattern of grades over time
  • The number of college preparatory, Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), honors and transferable college courses you have completed
  • Your level of achievement in those courses relative to other UC applicants at your school
  • Your scores on the ACT Assessment Plus Writing or the SAT Reasoning Test
  • Your scores on AP or IB exams
  • Honors and awards that showcase extraordinary intellectual or creative achievement
  • Sustained participation in rigorous academic enrichment and outreach programs
  • Your likely contribution to the intellectual and cultural vitality of the campus
  • Diversity of personal background and experience
  • Qualities such as leadership, motivation, and concern for others and for the community
  • Non-academic achievements in athletics, the performing arts, employment, and/or personal responsibilities
  • Demonstrated interest in the major and/or sustained academic achievement, particularly in math and science, is an important consideration for applicants to the College of Engineering and the College of Chemistry

Minimum Admission Requirements for Transfer Students
Requirements for California Residents

Most transfer students enter UC at the junior level. This means that they have completed 60 semester units, general education, and most, if not all, of their lower division major prerequisites.

We review all information, both academic and non-academic/personal, in the context of each student's individual circumstances. To be competitive, present an academic profile with strong grades that includes preparation for your intended major/college.

Most programs will not offer admission to students with excess units, i.e., more than 80 UC transferable semester units before enrollment. 

If all coursework was completed at a two-year college, this excess unit policy does not apply.
All coursework from a two-year college is considered lower division.

Requirements for Non-Residents
The minimum eligibility requirements for non-resident transfer applicants are the same as those for residents except that non-residents must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher in all transferable college coursework.

Transfers from Other UC Campuses
After you enroll at a UC campus, it may be possible for you to transfer to another UC campus. Applications for intercampus transfer are considered in light of your personal circumstances and the availability of space in your prospective major. These students must apply as junior transfers with 60-89 semester/90-134 quarter units.

If you wish to transfer from one UC campus to another, you must submit an application for undergraduate admission during the appropriate filing period.

Check further details on University website

Course Modules

Lower Division Courses

DS C10 : Introduction to Development (4 units)
Prerequisites: None
Offered Fall Only

This course provides an introduction to comparative development and serves as a prerequisite for DS 100. The course assumes that students know little about life in Third World countries and are unfamiliar with the relevant theory in political economy of development and underdevelopment. The first part of the course covers the historical patterns of incorporation into an expanding world system and the different theories associated with these processes. The second part deals with a variety of micro and macro phenomena organized around land, labor, and work. This course is cross-listed with Geography C32.

DS 24 : Freshman Seminar
Prerequisites: Consent of instructor

One hour of seminar per week. The Freshman Seminar Program has been designed to provide new students with the opportunity to explore an intellectual topic with a faculty member in a small seminar setting. Freshman seminars are offered in all campus departments, and topics vary from department to department and semester to semester. Enrollment is limited to 15 freshmen. Course may be repeated for credit as topic varies.

Upper Division Courses

DS C100 : History of Development and Underdevelopment (4 units)
Prerequisites: DS 10 or related course strongly recommended

Historical review of the development of world economic systems and the impact of these developments on less advanced countries. Course objective is to provide background against which to understand and assess theoretical interpretations of development and underdevelopment. Cross-listed with Geography C112.

DS 150 : Advanced Studies in Development Studies (4 units)
Prerequisites: None

Advanced multidisciplinary research in current issues and topics of development. Seminars will focus on specific geographical areas with appropriate comparative material included. A major research project is required, as well as class presentations. Topics change each semester. Course may be repeated for credit with consent of instructor.

DS 192 : Senior Thesis (3 units)
Prerequisites: Senior Standing and consent of instructor
This course is designed to provide Development Studies students with the opportunity to write a major paper on a topic relevant to their personal course of study. The paper is expected to be at least 30 pages in length. The topic should be agreed upon in advance by both the student and faculty sponsor and may be taken for a letter grade.

DS H195 : Senior Honors Thesis Seminar (4 units)
Prerequisites: IAS H102; senior standing with a minimum GPA of 3.6 in the major and a 3.5 for all work completed at the University; consent of instructor

The honors student is required to research and write a thesis based on the prospectus developed in International and Area Studies H102. The thesis work is reviewed by the honors instructor and a second reader to be selected based on the thesis topic. Weekly reports required.

DS 197 : Field Studies (1-4 units)
Prerequisites: Upper division standing and consent of instructor

Must be taken on a passed/not passed basis. Supervised experience relevant to specific aspects of Development Studies in off-campus organizations. Regular individual meetings with faculty sponsor and written reports required. Check with the IAS Office for specific requirements. Course may be repeated for credit.

DS 198 : Directed Group Study (1-4 units)
Prerequisites: Upper division standing and consent of instructor

Must be taken on a passed/not passed basis. Topic changes each semester. Check with the IAS Office for topics and specific enrollment requirements. Course may be repeated for credit.

DS 199 : Supervised Independent Study & Research for Undergraduates (1-4 units)
Prerequisites: Upper division standing and consent of instructor

Must be taken on a passed/not passed basis. Written proposal must be approved by a faculty advisor. Enrollment is restricted by regulations of the College of Letters and Science. Check with the IAS Office for enrollment information. Course may be repeated for credit.

Check further details on University website

How to Apply

Freshmen : 

Admission to Berkeley is a two-step process: Satisfying minimum requirements and selection. The process is outlined below : 

You may apply either as a freshman or a transfer student. Berkeley does not accept applications for transfer applicants at the freshman or sophomore level, nor for the spring semester.

Applications for admission are available beginning in August of the year prior to the year in which you would enter Berkeley. The application filing period is November 1-30. All applications must be submitted by November 30.

Berkeley does not offer any early admissions or any early decisions.

Fee Waivers

The University will waive application fees for up to four campuses in order to assist students for whom payment is a barrier to application to the University. Students who qualify for fee waivers and who select more than four campuses must pay $70* for each additional choice. For the fee waiver request, please provide your family income and the number of dependents. The fee waiver program is for US citizens, permanent residents, and applicants eligible for AB540 benefits only.

There are two ways to obtain a fee waiver:

  • You can apply for a fee waiver when you submit an online application. You will be notified immediately if you qualify.
  • You may submit the College Board fee waiver. Applications for this waiver are available from your high school counselors.

Here's what you'll need:

  • Transcripts. Don't submit your transcripts to UC at this point, but refer to them as you fill out the application to ensure the information you enter is accurate.*
  • Test scores. If you're a freshman or sophomore applicant, you'll have to include your scores from the ACT with Writing or the SAT Reasoning Test. (If you're applying for fall, be sure to complete these tests by December). All applicants should report scores for any SAT Subject Tests, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, TOEFL or IELTS exams they have taken. 
  • Annual income for last year and the current year (your parents' if you're a dependent; your income if you're independent). This is optional unless you're applying for an application fee waiver or for the Educational Opportunity Program.
  • Social Security number, if you have one. We use this to match your application to things like your test score report, final transcript(s) and, if you're applying for financial aid, your Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
  • Citizenship status. You must enter your country of citizenship (or "No Selection"). If your country of citizenship is outside the United States, you'll need to provide your immigration status and your visa type.
  • California Statewide Student ID (optional). Each K-12 student in California public schools is assigned an ID number. If it's not printed on your transcript, ask your counselor or registrar.
  • Credit card. If you prefer to pay by check, you can mail your payment.

* Veterans or active-duty military personnel: If you completed courses offered by a branch of the U.S. military, you may indicate your intention to submit your military transcript by checking the box in the "About You" section of the application. If you are admitted and accept an offer of admission, you can then submit official military transcripts (e.g., ACE, SMAART) to the UC campus.

In addition to the basic admission requirements, the campus selects its freshman class through an assessment that includes a holistic review of your academic performance as measured primarily by:

  • Your weighted and unweighted UC grade point average (calculated using 10th and 11th-grade UC-approved courses only)
  • Your planned 12th-grade courses
  • Your pattern of grades over time
  • The number of college preparatory, Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), honors and transferable college courses you have completed
  • Your level of achievement in those courses relative to other UC applicants at your school
  • Your scores on AP or IB exams
  • Your scores on the ACT Assessment Plus Writing or the SAT Reasoning Test.

Admission of International Applicants : 

  • GPA 3.91 (unweighted)
  • ACT (middle 50%) 29-33 (average: 32)
  • SAT (middle 50%) 2050-2240 (average: 2151)
  • Number of Countries 88
  • Admitted Students 1,275
  • Admit Rate 8.8%

Financial Documentation

Before a U.S. consul will grant a visa, you must prove that you will have sufficient money to meet all your expenses while studying in the United States. You must explain the source of your funds and guarantee that you will receive them while at UC Berkeley.

Unless you are able to provide written evidence demonstrating you have adequate financial resources for the entire time needed to complete your degree program, the consul will not grant a student visa.

If your country's government limits the amount of money that may be sent to its students in the United States, you should make sure that funds will be available.

When you leave your country, you must have enough money to:

  • pay for traveling expenses to UC Berkeley
  • pay fees for the entire term
  • meet living expenses until more money reaches you
  • pay the return fare to your home

You are an international applicant if a visa is required to reside and study in the United States. A US citizen, permanent resident, refugee, or asylee who currently lives and studies outside the US is considered a domestic applicant with foreign credentials. International students in the US on a visa cannot be classified as California residents for tuition purposes


Transfer students : 

We admit transfer applicants primarily on the basis of academic performance and preparation, as assessed by a review of:

  • GPA: For most majors, a minimum 3.0 GPA is required. (GPA is recalculated and based upon grades in UC-transferable courses taken by the end of the fall term prior to admission.)
  • Completion of lower division prerequisite courses for the intended major and/or college breadth requirements
  • Grade trends

By the end of the spring term prior to fall admission you must:

  • Complete 60 transferable semester units
  • Complete courses for the major
  • Complete general education requirements 

Check further details on University website

0 Scholarships available for this course
Join the largest Study Abroad community      Log in      Sign up