Funded Traineeships in Europe

Rate this post

Tenir les engagements envers le marché intérieur : éliminer les entraves à la libre circulation des services dans l'Union

Are you  about to graduate and have started thinking of that exciting moment when you’ll get your first job ?… and as you prepare yourself as a prospective employee, that’s when you realise that most employers ask for work experience.

Now…how are you going to get that ?

There is actually a great opportunity for students of European Universities to get valid work experience through traineeships even before completing their studies and its name is Erasmus+.

The Erasmus+ program provides grants for higher education students to carry out a work placement among a choice of 32 countries across Europe, as part of their degree. This usually lasts between two and twelve months. You get to travel, to improve your language skills, earn ECTS credits towards your degree. All this while getting paid!  And don’t forget developing intercultural skills as you get the chance to learn about your host country and experience a new culture. Also most importantly, you get desired work experience for your CV!

And these traineeships are not limited to higher education students. Vocational students and young graduates can also take part, as Erasmus+ offers apprenticeship placements to the students of further education providers across Europe. You have a wide choice of countries that you can choose from, this includes all the EU member states plus Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Croatia and Turkey.

See more:  Top 10 Reasons to Choose Canada for Higher education


Who can apply?

The basic requirement for an Erasmus+ traineeships is that you are studying for a degree or other tertiary level qualification (up to and including doctorates) in an institution with an Erasmus Higher Education Charter. Most Universities in Europe are actually part of the Erasmus Network.

Higher education students usually take their internship after their third year of studies but they can even take it in the year after graduation (provided they’ve applied before graduation) as long as it fits in around their studies. All students can apply, so it includes bachelors, masters and doctoral degrees. Also, depending on your country of preference, you might be asked to present a language certification or complete a language assessment test. Depending on your ability, your current university may offer you a free language course or other form of support to prepare you for your time abroad.

Vocational students can also apply, but you will need your organisation to apply for Erasmus+ funding.

EU flagErasmus


For more information on this, you can visit the official Erasmus+ page:


See more: 5 basic points to consider if planning to study in Europe for free


Who can I work for?

The restrictions on who you work for and where you work are fairly flexible – you can choose to work in most sectors, in private or public companies, schools, trade unions or non-profit organisations. For example:

  • Small, medium or large enterprises (including social enterprises)
  • Public bodies at local, regional or national level
  • Trade unions, chambers of commerce, or professional associations
  • Research institutes
  • Foundations
  • Institutes, schools and educational centres
  • Non-profit organisations, NGO’s and other similar associations
  • Bodies providing career guidance, professional counselling and information services
  • EU bodies and other EU institutions, including specialised agencies.
  • Organisations managing EU programmes

You should remember that Erasmus+ will help provide the funding for your traineeship but you have to find the work placements yourself. A good place to start your search is Erasmus InternIAESTE or you could try Eurasmus+  or LEO-NET. You can use your own contacts or do your own research but it’s worth having a chat with the Erasmus+ officer at your institution to see if they have options to offer. It is also your responsibility to ensure you have adequate health insurance, normally by issuing the European health card, which you can easily get from your health provider at your home country. Remember that you are also responsible for travel documentation, including passports and visas.

See more: Top 10 countries with the most expensive university education


OK, I ‘m convinced. What do I do next?

If you are at university, you should talk to your Erasmus or International officers who can guide through the application process and help you find a suitable placement.

If you’re not at university but you are studying a vocational course or have graduated, you could check with your tutor or student services or contact your National agency.

You can find yours here:

There is also a number of private organisations managing EU programs, which you can easily find online near your area.

The Erasmus+ program which provides traineeship is easy, exciting and offers you the possibility to get work experience or even start a career abroad. It is the perfect way to enhance your CV, get working skills and step into the business world. Go for it!


Traineeships and internships are a great way to get hands on experience of the real life situations and help in scoring an edge over others when it comes to applying for a job. We, at help you to obtain internship of your choice .Don’t forget to checkout the opportunities awaiting you!


#StaffPickClick here to apply for the PhD‬ & PostDoc‬ Fellowships‬ in ‪‎UK‬

Written by

Chrissy is European programmes manager of European Education and Learning Institute, Greece. An Educator passionate about supporting students on making choices about learning, employment, training and personal development. Loves nature, travelling and learning new stuff!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

error: All content is protected !!