INSPIRE Scholarship: Everything You Need to Know
Among the many scholarships available for students pursuing science intensive programs, the most well known and sought after ones are INSPIRE and KVPY. Both these scholarships are available only for students enrolled in basic sciences. Department of science and technology offers INSPIRE scholarships for students in age group 10-32 years under various categories.
- Scheme for Early Attraction of Talent (SEATS)- For students in class 6 to class 10
- Scholarship for Higher Education (SHE)- For Bachelor and Masters level education in natural sciences
- Assured Opportunity for Research Careers (AORC)- For doctoral degree in both basic and applied sciences including engineering and medicine
In the present blog you will learn everything about inspire scholarship for higher education(SHE) i.e for students of bachelors and masters category with age group (17-22).
Basic details about INSPIRE Scholarship (SHE).
- 10,000 scholarships per year worth Rs. 80,000 each.
- Students cannot avail any other scholarship along with INSPIRE scholarship
- Student must be pursuing three years B.Sc., B.Sc (Hons), four years B.S and five years integrated M.Sc./M.S programs in any UGC recognized College/ University/ Institutions in India in natural/basic sciences.
- Following is the list of basic sciences : Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology, Statistics, Geology, Astrophysics, Astronomy, Electronics, Botany, Zoology, Biochemistry, Anthropology, Microbiology, Geochemistry, Atmospheric science, Geophysics, Oceanic Sciences
You can obtain the inspire scholarship in any one of these ways:
- Board Exams: Students who are among the top 1% in Class 12 at their respective state Board Examinations.
- National Competitive Exams: Students who performed well in these national level exams: JEE advanced- top 10,000 ranks; JEE mains- top 10,000 ranks; AIPMT- top 10,000 ranks
- Students part of IISER, NISER, DAE-CBS(under university of Mumbai) can avail the scholarship.
- KVPY,NTSE and JBNSTS scholars are also eligible if they pursue programs in science
- The selected candidate will get benefits worth 80,000 for a maximum of 5 years.
- 60,000 will be given in cash form to the student.
- All the scholars are required to do a research project in any recognized research center in India. Rs.20,000 will be given as the Mentorship Grant which shall be reimbursed either to the mentoring institutions as a bench fee to accommodate the INSPIRE scholar or directly to the Scholar to carry out research work
- Further continuation of the scholarship is subject to academic performance where you need to submit your progress report to the committee each year.
Guidelines for online application
INSPIRE scholarship can be applied through online/offline mode. But we strongly recommend you do it using Online to avoid any hassle. Following documents are mandatory
- Application Form with photograph (in case of offline applications)
- Class XII Mark Sheets
- Class X Mark Sheet/Certificate (for proof of date of birth)
- Endorsement Certificate as per the prescribed format, signed by the Principal of the College/Director of the Institute/Registrar of the University
- Eligibility Note/Advisory Note (if provided by the State/Central Board)
- Certificate specifying Rank or Award in JEE (Main)/ JEE (Advanced)/ NEET/ KVPY /JBNSTS/ NTSE / International Olympic Medalists (if the candidate is eligible under this criterion)
See More: Pros and Cons of studying in EUROPE
Post-Offer implementation guidelines
All the selected candidates will be intimated through e-mail.and are required to log into the online portal to download the offer letter. The selection process on an average takes at least four months.
Some important tips
- Do not miss the deadlines mentioned by the authorities.
- After selection, scholars are required to open a regular Bank Account within India at any branch of State Bank of India.
- A maximum period of 3 months would be allowed to a scholar for the completion of Bank Account related formalities and the offer of the scholarship would stand cancelled after that.
- For continuation of INSPIRE Scholarship, the scholar shall (i) pass in all subjects, and (ii) secure minimum 60% aggregate marks or 6.0 CGPA on a 10.0 point scale.
- Scholars are advised to submit their yearly Mark-sheets and performance related documents on-time. Failure to do so will automatically cancel your scholarship.
The portal for 2015 inspire applicants is not yet opened. Make sure you check out from time to time.